Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • clockwork orange upgrade
  • cocker
    Free Member

ive got a clockwork orange s 2013 that ive been trying to sell.
    ive not had any joy so ive decided to keep it and make myself a lightweight winter bike
    just wondering what upgrades anyone would recommend to get the weight down
    current spec
    hotrod handlebars
    raceface ride stem and seatpost
    slx brakes and cranks
    formula 15qr/shimano 575, mavic TN119 rims
    continental x king rear mountain king front

thanks

teadrinker
    Free Member

Rigid or better suspension forks. New wheels also. Bar, stems and post I wouldn’t bother with. If it was me I’d go Exotics up front and a Hope Wheelset and go tubeless with some new tyres.

mattstreet

For a winter bike, a rigid fork and going singlespeed will keep the weight and maintenance down.

boxelder

What mattstreet said.
    You may hate it, but for the cost of forks and a singlespeed kit (3100?), you may love it – and you can always go back……

andyl
    Free Member

Carbon forks and bars (to help with shock absorption).

Possibly go single ring up front to make cleaning easier

Something with crest rims (SS would be a cheap option)

cocker
    Free Member

thanks for the replies,
    i was thinking hope hubs crest rims ,tubeless as i had this on my last bike.with some bonty mud tyres
    1x 10 ,not too keen on trying single speed with my knees/fitness

any other suggestions?

thanks

whitey
    Free Member

Definately lose nearly 1.5Kg with carbon forks. Or over half a kilo with rebas. Tubeless tyres will be a big saver too as long as they are light. Doing the same myself with a clockwork 2014 model. The basic flat pedals are very heavy, and the bars.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What sort of winter? Never had much of an issue with just washing & lubing the bike after riding it, no special treatment needed.

1x may help.

ernie67

I’ll be interested in people’s thoughts – i’ve got the same bike , & besides changing the tyres, pedals & bars i haven’t altered it ( thinking i’d wait until things started going wrong first ).
    I’m going to upgrade the brakes as they definitely need changing , but i’m also considering a fork or wheel change in the near future – any ideas would be welcome.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ive done this with a 2014 650 Crush,stans wheels,1 x 10 with a 11×42 clutch mech,bar,stem,hope x2’s etc,its a more useable bike now,kept the std rockshox forks as they’re mint,& dya really want & need fancy forks on a hard tail ??,er no !.

Check out the Orange 2015 range, they’re doing these type of mods to the Clockwork & Crush arn’t they ?,funny that, so clearly theres a market for it.[*]

mattupnorth
    Free Member

Cocker have replied to your for sale post if you’re still considering it?

boxelder

kept the std rockshox forks as they’re mint,& dya really want & need fancy forks on a hard tail ??,er no !

Why so? I think they’re more important than on FS, as you tend to have more weight forward and ‘ride the fork’, whereas with FS you rely on the rear travel.

OP – if going for Stans rims, go for Arch EX on the rear at least – extra strength for not much weight – especially if going for light tyres. Crests are easy to ‘flat spot’ on edges.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘clockwork orange upgrade’ is closed to new replies.