• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LsD.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Clockwork Orange 1993 conversion to 69er!
  • freekin_chickin
    Free Member

Hello,

This is my predicament:
    I recently received a hardly ridden, very good condition original Clockwork Orange. Everything is still there and working perfectly as it did originally. With a few alterations – It'll be pretty perfect.

Having been given this bike, I cant sell it.
    The question is what to do with it. I could do it up to the best origional condition as an antique(!) or I could make it into a bike that I would and could ride often as a second bike.
    With this option I would need to create a bike significantly different to my main bike – a steel framed Rock Lobster with Reba team shocks. The final issue is that I'm 6foot and its a 15inch frame!

The solution that I came up with was to create a 69er (put 29er rigid forks on the bike) and ride it as a second bike.

I'm of two minds though, do people think 15 inch is really too small for me – even with a riser stem and increased length forks?

would my plans work and what do people suggest I should do? Any other solutions to the issue?

Cheers,
    Theo

Kahurangi

IMO… if you buy the kit for this build and it doesn't work for you, would you then use the kit on a more suitable frame to achieve the same thing? Or would it merely be a project to 'use up' the clockwork frame?

Can always give a it a really good clean and hang it on your wall 😉

racefaceec90

pictures please!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daj
    Free Member

Please explain to the kind person that gave it to you that a mint 1993 Orange Clockwork deserves better than being ruined!! ;o(

freekin_chickin
    Free Member

AH! But thats the question!
    Mint or not – surely the bike was designed to be ridden! Such a beautiful and mechanically sound thing should surely be used for what it was meant for rather that being hung on a wall, whilst visitors gaze and ask "why have you got a bike on your wall?".
    I love the Bike, I love what the bike means and because of that I feel I want to ride it and use it rather that make money out of it, or have it for the sake of having it!

I like the idea of riding 69, but it would be mostly to be able to ride the bike.

I'll put pictures up as soon as I can.

racefaceec90

cheers fc!!!

Hooter
    Free Member

IIRC early 90's Orange geometry was very old school. I had a '95 clockwork which I loved until the bottle bosses dropped out leaving holes in the downtube. I doubt it would handle at all well with longer 29 er forks, but you never know.

Reluctant
    Free Member

It'll be for a one inch fork too, you'll struggle to find a suitable fork.

Kahurangi

So you really ought to attempt to run it as a rigid SS to complement your existing bike/s.

LsD
    Free Member

You could have your shins chopped off and have yer feet reattached to the remaining bone stub below the knee. This solution would satisfy everybobdy.

Well, would satisfy me at least………..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Clockwork Orange 1993 conversion to 69er!’ is closed to new replies.