Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Clocks go BACK this weekend, so darker nights ahead
  • project
    Free Member

Just when is this stupid idea going to end, all it does is make the towns christmas lights come on earlier.

More road accidents, and near misses, but i suppose bike shops sell more over priced lights.

Drac

More road accidents, and near misses,

Really?

druidh
    Free Member

On the up-side, mornings are brighter. Just get up earlier.

Kryton57

…and I might get to use my Lumenator on Monday evening.

footflaps

Looking forward to lighter mornings, way too dark for me right now…

project
    Free Member

for Drac,

A campaign is calling on the Government to run a three-year trial to shift UK clocks forward by one hour throughout the year in order to help reduce road deaths during winter.

Ahead of clocks going back on October 30, the campaign seeks to highlight the fact that road accidents increase fourfold when the clocks change as it takes a week for road users to adapt to the new conditions.

The campaign, led by road safety charity Brake, has partnered with the 10:10 Lighter Later campaign for Single Double Summer Time.

CountZero

It’s gonna get dark regardless, what does an hour in the evening matter?

Bez

Really?

No idea about figures, but I normally stay off the roads for the two weeks after the clocks go back because people just seem to drive like morons who’ve never seen rain or dark before.

TheBrick
    Free Member

hour in the evening matter?

Because its a time that is more useful to most people. It ends up being dark in the morning regardless too.

footflaps

Because its a time that is more useful to most people.

Not so sure, even leaving at 5 on the dot I can barely get in a hours work outside before its pitch black and I’m not even that far North. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be dark at 5 even without the clocks changing.

P20

Arse. I’m nightshift…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dark here in the grime at mins after six tonight. Means we’ll be wrapping up at work at 4.30 for most of the days next month and by 4 in December!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Just when is this stupid idea going to end

I thought British winter time was real time and that British summer time was the odd one. So the removal of the stupid idea of clock changing would simply result in darker evenings in the summer. No thanks!

druidh
    Free Member

Quite.

If you want to stay one hour ahead of GMT all year, simply move to Central Europe!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have got to be honest, I like brighter mornings, I don’t like going through a month of the sun in my eyes whilst driving to work only for it to happen for another month soon after, but as I get up at about 6.30 am then I would rather have the extra light in the mornings, I find it depressing getting up in the dark but easier to to to bed in the dark.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Alas – less chance for riding. Starting to take my bike to work now anyway so that I can sneak some daylight riding in around the Lakes when I finish early… but it gives me less latitude for a sneaky mid-week ride or two!

That said… Whinlatter tomorrow I think 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I guess part of the argument is that this way round the roads should be more likely to be ice free by the time most people start their commute.

If you want to stay one hour ahead of GMT all year, simply move to Central Europe!

I’m about 80 miles off the East coast, so I can tell you for sure, that wouldn’t work.

I’d be happy to go on CET though, then we can call summer GMT 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I agree that we should either move to CET or stick to BST year-round. I like the CET idea better though. I think many of the arguements are outdated for sticking with the status quo.

ads678

All it means to me is that when i get up on sunday morning cbeebies won’t start for another half hour!!

matt_outandabout

Means I get an extra hour in my tent, somewhere on the bank of the Spey on Saturday 8)

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

wow, you lot really do fixate on what the clock tells you

matt_outandabout

That is fine druidh – I will be further down the Spey on Sunday – so can ‘lay in’ on both days 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Clocks go BACK this weekend, so darker nights ahead’ is closed to new replies.