Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Clock Spring / Spiral Cable questions
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

I have a Toyota Corolla, due it’s MOT in 2 weeks. For the past 5 or 6 years the airbag light has been on and off intermittently and thankfully been off for all the MOTs (expect one when it was still allowed as an advisory).

Luck has run out it seems and it’s on pretty much permanently these days and so I’ve diagnosed the issue by jumping pins on the ODB2 port and it’s the Clock Spring/Spiral Cable on the steering wheel.

Toyota want £280 for this part.
    Even eBay want £100 used for correct part number part (and these are in Germany/Holland)

Seems to be more expensive as I have steering wheel controls for the stereo.

It’s a long shot but does anyone happen the know whether another part number from the same year car would work? I’m not bothered about losing the steering wheel stereo controls as long as the airbag light is off for the MOT.

Car is only worth a few hundred quid with an MOT, we don’t really need it as it’s a second car and so I’m loathed to spend it’s value fixing it.

timba
    Free Member

Is it part of the airbag recall? Is this causing a false diagnosis?

Sandwich

Mrs S Nissan had a similar problem, took the auto-electrician 2 goes to fix it as the first slip ring assembly failed on re-assembly. (Part replaced by Nissan under warranty). I suspect that the chap doing the fix missed something small in the first effort and knackered it. Could be a fiddly job for the home mechanic, good luck.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Timba – no, nothing to do with that but thanks.

I’ve had the airbag, steering wheel and clock spring off in my lunch hour. Continuity tested OK. Put it all back together and continuity test failed. Put steering on full lock and continuity passed. Connected all back up, engine on and no airbag light 🙂

Do you think the MOT tester can be persuaded to put it on full lock to test the SRS light 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Clock Spring / Spiral Cable questions’ is closed to new replies.