Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Clipless pedals and flat shoes
  • cobbdu1
    Free Member

I have standard shimano clipless pedals on my commuter but I also want to use it with flat shoes from time time time and don’t want to change pedals. Any suggestions of anything I can do, including recommending a set of pedals which cater for both types of shoe.
    Thank you.

honourablegeorge

There was a kickstarter (or similar) thing a while back for a studded plate that clicked into SPD pedals for exactly this purpose

Edit – found it – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513937573/fly-pedals-v2-universal-clipless-bike-pedal-adapte

CraigW
    Free Member

Shimano A530 pedals are not bad. They are SPD one side, platform on the other. It is a fairly small platform, and not the grippiest, but I think its fine for riding with trainers.

I’d look at the Shimano T780 or T8000 pedals if you want a bigger platform.

Pyro

I’ve got a pair of the FlyPedals but not tried them yet as I haven’t got a second set of cleats!

Alpkit have their Jekyll double-sided SPD/flat pedal that might be worth a look?
    Love Mud Jekyll

ajantom

These are cheap..,
    BBB Feetrest

prawny

What sort of riding are you planning on doing not clipped in? I used to ride clueless pedals in normal trainers fairly iften for dissing about in, but I wouldn’t want to go and do a trail centre like it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got clippless XC pedals on my commuter/pub bike, so no platform, and will ride with trainers from time to time when messing about with the kids. Perfectly fine and comfy. Wouldn’t want to go any distance with then but work absolutely fine.

slowoldman

Shimano M324 are OK.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Just put flat pedals on your commuter 8)

Superficial
    Free Member

Shimano pedals sometimes come with a funny plastic flat pedal thing that clips into one side of the spd. I think it’s something to do with making it road legal to sell on a complete bike (which is required by law to have reflectors on the pedals). Anyway, they are basically plastic versions of that kickstarter thing. I’ve used them in a bind. They’d be much better if they clicked on and off easily.

jimdubleyou

I’ve got the shimano A530 “touring” pedals.

The flat side is fine for a quick poodle in trainers. A bit slippy in “work” shoes but I’m not sure I’d want pins screwing up my work shoes…

Goldigger
    Free Member

Matt24k
    Free Member

I use these:
    Shimano Pedal Adapter
    They work well but need a bit of leverage to remove.

medoramas
    Free Member

I use these plastic adapters too, for family rides – can’t fault them.

franksinatra

Shimano M424, M545 M647 would all do what you describe well.

CraigW
    Free Member

Shimano M424, M545 M647 would all do what you describe well.

Not really. They have a platform, but the SPD mechanism still sticks up above the platform a bit. So it can dig into your shoes, or be a bit slippery.

Yes, they are better than regular SPD pedals, for riding with flat shoes. But still not very comfortable for riding any distance.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Clipless pedals and flat shoes’ is closed to new replies.