Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Clipless pedal choice for a 'fleet' of bikes (road, cross & mtb)?
  • psychle
    Free Member

For those who have multiple bikes in their stable, covering a few ‘genres’, do you run the same pedal on all of them? If so, what’s your choice? I’ve been running Time Atac XS on my MTB’s and cross bike, but they don’t quite suit the road bike 🙄

Thinking Speedplay Frog’s might be the way to go? What does the STW Hivemind suggest?

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

I have wondered the same thing. I have several bikes and out of sheer convenience use SPD-type pedals and cleats on all of them. I only have MTB-type shoes (Sidi dominators) and i use these on my road bike – -even in triathlons!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use spds on the mtbs and commuter, spd-sl on the road bike. I only have one ‘decent’ road bike that I do serious mileage on, and need the hotspot avoidance of proper road shoes with.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

I use road shoes and SPD-R on my road bike and MTB shoes and SPD on my mountian bike.

scaredypants

I have frogs on my road bike but I use different shoes for mtb (spd or flats)

tollah
    Free Member

Got Eggbeaters on all 10 bikes.
    Mixture of road, cx and mtb.

psychle
    Free Member

Ideally I’m looking for one set of pedals that I can swap around to whichever bike is in use for that ride (easily done), still using my one pair of good shoes (Sidi Dragon’s).

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got Shimano SPD’s (mostly M520’s) on all my bikes which means the various shoes I have (including the winter boots which get used off and on road) can all have the same time of cleats.

Andy

Time Atacs on all bikes: Road and Off Road. But do not do a lot of road.

nickc

I found just as a personal thing that mtb shoes and cleats on my road bike gave me hotspots on my feet, which is why I bought roadie stuff.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Eggbeaters all round.

I’ve been looking at Speedplay pedals for the roadbike when I can afford new shoes and pedals!

wwaswas

I’ve got mostly Crank Bros Candys but their Quattros on the road bike.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano on all my bikes, a mixture of 959’s, 975’s and some nice new 980’s I bought about an hour ago 😉

Andyhilton
    Free Member

spds on MTB and keo’s on road

jonb
    Free Member

I run 3 pairs of shoes and two types of pedals.

Road shoes and road pedals on my two road bikes. Spd pedals on mountain bikes (that aren’t flat pedaled) I have cheap commuting shoes and race shoes.

If I was going for one typ it would be spd. I’ve seen some spd compatible xpedo pedal that are extremely ligh weight because they are only single sided.

beinbhan

time attacs on mountain bike and commuter road bike speed plays on good road bike

firestarter
    Free Member

I have six bikes and use mix of quattros mallets and candies

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Powerplay spuds on commuter (lighter than XTR and just as good)

M647s on MTBs (brilliant)

A600 spuds on the roadie (not as light as dedicated road pedals but I prefer the float)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Road-Bike-Pedals-Shimano-Clipless-Spd-A600-Pedals/SHIMPEDA735000000000

all shoes intergchangeable.

coatesy
    Free Member

Using Frogs on both my bikes, excellent pedals, only downside is the cost of cleats.Still wouldn’t consider anything else though.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Look quartz on all 3

Light enough for the roadbike, enough platform and float for the fs, best pedal ever imho

Swalsey
    Free Member

Shimano 2-bolt SPDs on road, hack and 2 x MTBs. Don’t feel any need for road specific with stiff carbon XC MTB shoes.

mattsccm
    Free Member

SPD’s on MTB’s fixed, CX and Road. Even road riding I tend to get of and wander so I like something I can walk in. I find hot spots are a shoe related issue not pedals and I reckon I work hardest on my SS cross bike and this copes fine with SPD’s

steve_b77
    Free Member

MTB’s have M520’s on them.

Commuter has M545’s on it for those non-clipped in moments.

Road bike has Keo’s on it.

On pair of shoes for each genre

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Time ATAC for Mountain bike and Cross, SPD-SL for road. As has been said before, I get hotspots if I try using mountain bike pedals on the road. Which, to be fair, does make me wonder why I don’t suffer from the same problem with the cross bike.

Militant_biker

Time Atac on the MTB SS, DMR V12s on the big bike, and SPD-SL on the fixed road and the racing bike. Didn’t like the way the foot rolled around on the pedal when I ran Atacs on the road bikes, so went first with Time RXE pedals, which were poo, and then SPD-SLs which are great.

Stiff MTB shoes, 5tens and Stiff Roadie shoes respectively. And oddly, I’m quite happy to wander around all day in SPD and SPD-SL shoes…

brakes
    Free Member

I used Crank Bros Candys on MTB and road – would prefer road specific for longer rides but mostly use it for commuting

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Candys on the CX / commuter and 2011 Candys on the MTB (the shoes I use for both are the same) but I’d struggle to use them in place of the Look Keo Carbons on the posh road bike – it just wouldn’t do! 🙂

Sam

timdrayton – Member
    Look quartz on all 3

Light enough for the roadbike, enough platform and float for the fs, best pedal ever imho

Well, if you’d like to pick up a few sets at truly bargaintastic prices just drop me a line, I’m just switching everything back to Shimano having used the Looks for a while….

fisha
    Free Member

shimano spds all round for me.

except the commuter which I have the light up led flashy platform pedals, it also means I use it as the shopper bike where I can just jump on it with any shoes.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Clipless pedal choice for a 'fleet' of bikes (road, cross & mtb)?’ is closed to new replies.