• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Clip-on TT bars
  • DT78
    Free Member

So I’ve been thinking about having a go at some TT’s. I bought a pair of mini clipon bars (vision) and have been playing around. No other adjustments to the bike yet. I took them off last night and missed them alot – I tried the resting your forearms on the bars without a clipon, and it bloody hurt and felt very dangerous.

Using TT bars is definitely quicker on the flat, a good 1-2mph easily, for minimal weight gain. So why don’t roadies use them? I know they aren’t practical all the time, but there are usually times you can use them safely and it will up the average speed. I would have thought the advantage outweighs the extra weight and ugly look of them?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Riding in a group with tri-bars is damn right dangerous and also banned in competition. Just look at world cup triathlon competitions for the amount of crashes on the bike leg, and they are restricted to very short extensions.

You’ll also get flagged/shouted out trying to ride David Millar sytle in most group rides/races because as you noticed “and it bloody hurt and felt very dangerous.” Unless you are David Millar of course.

bigbeard
    Free Member

Personally I use them for TT’s but to make them comfortable I have to put my saddle fully forward and tilted down slightly. This then makes riding on the hoods not very comfortable.

Most of the riding I do is with groups so I wouldn’t get to use them anyway if I left them on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

The ones I’ve been using are the small stumpy ‘ok to use in races’ ones – or so it said in the description. I haven’t tried ones with full extensions yet and imagine that would need lots of positional adjustment.

I don’t ride with others or groups so just me solo. Its a nice position to have when heading into the wind.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Clip-on TT bars’ is closed to new replies.