Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Clip-on aero bars – shape?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Doing my first triathlon this summer and thinking about getting some clip-on aero bars. Just thought I’d see what people would recommend in terms of the shape of the extension poles – flat, s bend, or ski bend?

I guess the ski bend ones might be more comfortable as they allow the wrist to remain straight?

ashfanman
    Free Member

(Too slow for the edit)

As shown here:

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I tried 2 & 3 , thought 2 were comfy to start with then tried 3 and grip position feels better. See if you get a loan to start with.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Oops – I bought 3

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like 2 for clipping onto a road bike as they tend to be longer in the top tube so you need a shorter extension – but yout elbow pads are only allowed so far back.

I find my self using the bend upwards to push against to hold my position as my forearm will hurt after a long time with all weight on them

I have number 1 on my tt bike , top tubes shorter , the bars are longer so i can nearly get my elbow on the pad so i can support all weight on that part of my arm for as long as i want.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Infact all three of those suck

Get some where the extensions mount under the handlebar, means you can dictate the height rather than being forced to live with them high

ashfanman
    Free Member

See if you get a loan to start with.

Don’t think that’s going to be an option, unfortunately. What I’m hoping my LBS will let me do is hook me up to a turbo in-store, fit the mounting brackets (or whatever they’re called) and then have a quick try with the different-shaped extension poles. (Having paid in advance, of course.)

I like 2 for clipping onto a road bike as they tend to be longer in the top tube so you need a shorter extension – but yout elbow pads are only allowed so far back.

Yeah, the top tube on my road bike is pretty long, so I suspect it will take some tinkering to get the proper fit with clip-ons.

the bars are longer so i can nearly get my elbow on the pad so i can support all weight on that part of my arm for as long as i want.

Ahh. I had assumed the pads were for your elbows to rest on – is that not the case?

Infact all three of those suck

Get some where the extensions mount under the handlebar, means you can dictate the height rather than being forced to live with them high

They were just for illustration purposes, but do happen to be the ones stocked in my LBS. Any other recommendations? Really not looking to spend too much, as I won’t be using them that often. (The Deda’s are £70-odd, I think.)

trail_rat
    Free Member

They usually are… Gibbon arms me. My extensions would be touching my minute man i i had me elbows on the pads 🙂

I like profiles.

T2+ on my tt bike

Jammer gt clip ons if and when for the roadie

richardk
    Free Member

Where are you ashfanman? I have some old Profile Airstryke bars – similar shape to the second ones above but the bars join in the middle, and you can mount them under the bars to keep it low. If you are near Glos/Wilts you’re welcome to try them them.

Now have a dedicated tri-bike so the profiles are up for sale as well.

turboferret

Personally I like the S-bend design (number 3 in your list) but fully agree with trail rat, extensions which mount under the bars will give you much more flexibility for your road bike.

Cheers, Rich

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for under-the-bar mounting on a road bike, helps you get lower at the front.
    For me it would be the older style option 2 in the photo above, it’s not quite as aero as 1 or 3 but for me it’s a bit more comfy due to the wrist position (if you’re just planning on doing 10’s then maybe go for the most aero option but for 25/50/100’s I’d go for the comfort factor personally).

smell_it
    Free Member

How about these 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

pro elbow pads are awful – so are ovals.

outland do a nice comfy set for cheapish….

when did tt bars rocket – i bought my first set of century TT bars for 29.99 many years ago … my jammers were 49.99 and my T2+ were 65.99…..

now im looking at about 60 to get centurys:O

ashfanman
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Good advice about getting ones where the poles mount under the bars, but I can’t seem to find any under-bar ones with ski-bend poles that are even relatively cheap?

Even the Profile ones mount above the bars…

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh those dont look so bad as the pads are FLAT to the bar …. most ive seen have the pads mounted about 10-15mm above the extension.

clever use of spacers would see you able to fit them below the bars tbh.

http://www.bikes4families.co.uk/handlebars-and-stems/handlebars/outland-t9-tri-bars/prod_379.html

bomba
    Free Member

I’ve been through various configs, trying to get an aero position on the road bike for TTs. Road bikes are longer and higher than TT bikes, so you’re aim is to lower the front end and bring it in closer.

As you’ve discovered, finding under-bar mounts is tricky. The only ones I found were Pro-Lites or PZ racing ones, both available from CRC.

Ultimately, I went with a set of Tokens (which are a bargain at ~£30) and a Deda adjustable stem. The adjustable stem allows you to get a deeper drop and it moves the bars closer to the saddle, shortening the reach.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Thanks all. That’s really helpful.

As you’ve discovered, finding under-bar mounts is tricky. The only ones I found were Pro-Lites or PZ racing ones, both available from CRC.

I just saw a review for some Ritchey ones on Road.cc, which also mount under the bar.

But to put a potential spanner in the works, I’ve just noticed this on the event site:

“Triathlon bars must not exceed the breaks on your handle bars. BTF referees will inspect your bike and can take your out of the race if rules are not adhered to.”

I assume they mean the extension poles can’t go past the brake hoods? I don’t even see how that would be possible – resting my arms out straight on the tops, with my elbows just behind the bar, my arms stretch WAY past the hoods. I’ll call them to confirm, but is this some standard rule for triathlons?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Presumably it’s a draft legal tri, where I think the above rule applies and you can only use stubby extensions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I too am doing my first tri soon…Sunday in fact.

I got some J types, not tried them yet I’ve used other loop type ones before though).

I also turned my seatpost round and rammed my saddle forward, seemed to work well on the one ride I did (80 miles) is this seen as a good or bad thing on a std road bike?

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it a long distance or olympic ~? rules changed a couple years back to allow drafting.

the forward saddle thing seemed common at IM taupo when i was there a few years ago – would certainly mimic the position i put my self in on the TT bike at tri’s

ashfanman
    Free Member

is it a long distance or olympic ~? rules changed a couple years back to allow drafting.

Yeah, it’s Olympic distance. So I’m not allowed full-length extensions in case I try to draft someone and end up skewering them? Not that I’m planning on drafting some stranger, but surely the rider should be trusted to exercise judgment in not getting close enough to prod them with your aero bars, in the same way that you wouldn’t just randomly ride into someone’s back wheel?

Presumably it’s a draft legal tri, where I think the above rule applies and you can only use stubby extensions.

In that case I’m not sure there’s any point – I’m 6’5, so if I tried to use some of those stubby things I’d end up with the pads practically at my wrists! 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but surely the rider should be trusted to exercise judgment in not getting close enough to prod them with your aero bars, in the same way that you wouldn’t just randomly ride into someone’s back wheel?”

these are triathletes and if they thought it would gain them precious seconds they would risk it.

i used to train with the tri lot at uni…. one of them managed to end up with his jacket in the front wheel while taking it off at speed stopping him dead…… id stopped long before it got to that i saw it coming 😀

wallop

ashfanman
    Free Member

A-mazing. Must be pretty light, too, what with all those bubbles…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Clip-on aero bars – shape?’ is closed to new replies.