Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Clip less to flat pedals, anyone done this?
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Been thinking about making a switch to flat pedals, have always ridden with mainly Time clipless pedals.

Would like to have a better range of manoeuvrability when concerning and with lower bottom bracket heights I seem to get a few more pedal strikes which are in clipping me.

Getting started on some sections can also be a little hit or miss sometimes, whereas with a flat pedal it would be easier.

Appreciate any peeps views on switching or alternating between the two pedal types.

sam_underhill

I took the plunge in august time last year. Best thing I’ve ever done for my “fun riding” (I’m still riding spds for faster XC stuff).

Don’t do it half cocked. Get some sticky shoes and big spiky platforms, I went for 5 tens and DMR vaults. There’s so much grip with this combo I instantly felt at home on the rough stuff and only had to think about it when it came to jumping.

I took the time to spend some sessions doing drill on manuals and then moving into proper bunny hops. This helps if you have a riding buddy in the same boat. I’m now confident on small drops and gaps with my flats. I haven’t quite got the hand of big bunny hops.

I’m also more confident on the tricky steep and slippy or rough descents. I can more confidently stall without fear of having to unclip which means I then commit more to attempting stuff.

madhouse

I got some flats last summer after a recommendation that it’s worth a go and would improve my riding. It certainly is worth doing, although personally I didn’t think it was a eureka! moment.

I got some 5 Tens and Superstar Nano pedals, it’s a really grippy combo and I was surprised how quickly I adapted. I now switch between the two just to mix it up a bit.

Garry_Lager

Coming from clipless you may find yourself getting bounced off flat pedals once in a while, when the bike takes an impact – this is v bad and can cause a crash.
    If you know what you’re doing this doesn’t happen, as you’re in control of the bike from the feet up. Someone more knowledgeable than me can explain the relevant techniques – I only ride with them v occasionally and don’t really feel at one with flats.

You might be surprised at how well flats pedal – it’s not a big deal turning them over even on long rides.

MadBillMcMad

possibly wear shin pads for a while. Even after a few years you will get the odd shin-shredding moment !!

You do want good pedals (nice long sharp pins). The Shimana Saints are a decent starter but there aare plenty better.

You will also want good sticky shoes, 510s being the ultimate IMO.

I changed a good few years back & have no intention of going back to clipless

Denis99
    Free Member

Bouncing off the pedals is probably my biggest concern with flats.

I’m hoping that the combination of DMR vaults and some sticky soled 5 tens will help my technique though.

jfb01
    Free Member

I agree with whats been said.However get shin pads for the first 6 months or your lower legs will get cut to ribbons.

ian martin
    Free Member

I did and I like it. It makes a scuffy mess of my cranks but find I ride steeper more technical trails without the fear of not being able to unclip quick enough if I need to bail.

fizik
    Free Member

Decent pedals and shoes and you wont need to worry about shins, and heels down in the rough stuff!

SaxonRider

I switched to flats after a weekend course a few years back, and love it. I use clipless on the road obviously, but flats on the mtb have been excellent. No issues with slipping off or anything else; just a sense of greater confidence, manoeuvrability and accessibility.

Wouldn’t go back, really.

But I know it’s all subjective.

EDIT: Oh, and what fizik says, above ^^.

Northwind

I had a big gap, but I went to flats when I started riding again, because my leg’s not really up for twisting any more. Took me a good while to get into it, and honestly i think spds might be better. But not enough to be important for anyone but racers, everyone else should use what they like.

The interesting thing is, if you’ve got good technique on SPDs you’ll adapt easily to flats. The reason a lot of SPD riders struggle to adapt is that they have bad technique. You hear people say “I can’t bunnyhop on flats” but they actually mean “I can’t bunnyhop” frinstance. Or “I can’t jump on flats” which means “I jump badly but my SPDs let me get away with it” Lots of folks rely on their spds just to stay on the bike and that’s fine- but it means you’re always at odds with the bike, it’s much better to work with it and move with it. You can do it on SPDs no bother but you have the option not to; whereas flats will just **** you up if you don’t.

So even if you give flats a try- a proper try, to really learn them and get used to them- and it doesn’t take, you’re likely to take benefits back to spds. And vice versa.

fizik – Member

Decent pedals and shoes and you wont need to worry about shins

LIES. Maybe not while riding, but crashing will still get you, and then there’s the “I’ll just push this across the garage and ****ING OW”. And don’t ask me why I have pedal scars on my head, right?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes have ridden spd’s for 20 years, went home and borrowed a mates bike so had to ride flats. Loved it came back and took my spd’s off and replaced all mtb pedals with flatties got some Five 10’s. Love it wouldn’t ride spd’s now!

Bouncing off pedals on DH push your heels down. It is a very different style of riding but I love it.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I went the other way after riding on flats for years I tried SPD for no real reason other than ‘i fancied a go’.

SPD’s definitely allow a little more laziness when it comes to technique. I was fine on jumps and drops for the most part on flats. But if you miss just a little tweak with your weight on the pedals you’ll be kicked off them. Keeps you on your toes so to speak.

My main challenge was riding all the stuff i rode on flats with SPD’s which took a while to get used to not being able to back out. You have to fully commit, Which has definitely made me faster.

I still sometimes put flats back on for the odd ride just so i dont forget. and it all comes back pretty quick.

So in short. Definitely do it. even if its just so you can learn to work with the bike rather than just hanging on, can always swap back as and when.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Northwind is spot on, the jaggy bastards get you at the the most unexpected times. hardest bit for me was jumping, bunny hopping, and when you come off a descent into a wee short climb, for the first wee while my foot would shoot forward off the pedal and they’d get me on the calf. Basically I had my feet too parallel to the ground, and had to get the heels down a bit.

I do think SPDs are better, even on the most techiest of descents, I liked the security of being attached to the bike, but I had to move to flats.

Denis99
    Free Member

Seems like there are quite a few who have switched, thanks for the advice etc.

Will give this a try.

Need to get some 5 10’s, decent pedals and some shin guards ( I can be clumsy on the odd occasion….)

Regards

Denis

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Clip less to flat pedals, anyone done this?’ is closed to new replies.