Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Climbing – what's your poison?
  • vinnyeh

Big up's, then big down's? Or rolling hills? Lots of short climbs and shorter downs.

I'm hating the relative flatness of the south at the moment.

Smee
    Free Member

Huge ups, then stay high, then long downs.

Frizzer
    Free Member

Short, sharp ups followed by long zig-zaggy singletrack downs do it for me

jedi

i dont mind. all hill are good up or down

hilldodger
    Free Member

ups are just downs waiting to happen 🙂

personally I prefer lots of little ups'n'downs, the twistier the better – as log-in name might suggest I don't enjoy the long granny-ring slogs…..

Kato

+1 Goan

TheSwede
    Free Member

F6a+ at the moment 😉

vinnyeh

F6a+ at the moment

Could have sworn I'd stuck this in the bike forum…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got to agree with Goan. Ideally a thousand or two feet in a mile or two – half an hours slog to the top then miles of downhill. I hate seeing all the energy I put into going uphill ending up in hot brakes

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bring it all on. Long swoopy downhills or short steep arse on the back wheel stuff, all good. Probably prefer the challenge of short steep techy climbs.

TheSwede
    Free Member

#
    vinnyeh – Member

F6a+ at the moment

Could have sworn I'd stuck this in the bike forum…
    Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

Thought you had made a mistake 😉

beefy

Yep, climb then stay up for a long time, then super steep downhill that lasts forever. Ie Helvellyn!

metalheart
    Free Member

F6a+

everybody knows sport climbing is neither… 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

My poison? Climbing is like drinking tequila; I want to get it over with as quickly as possible and hope the bitter taste passes in time for me to continue to enjoy myself.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

as long as there's technical interest I don't mind.

grahamt1980

HVS-E1 although I'm crap at the moment. Sport climbing just isn't right

finbar
    Free Member

E1, but only seconding!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends how many hours i have been riding but prefer ridable climbs up say Howgills Calf to stupid steep / hike a bike. Rocky and /or steep descents- walna scar / rangers path or long and fast.

samuri
    Free Member

Anything is good but I must admit I'm really enjoying big massive **** off hills that I can see disappearing into the clouds at the moment. The angle is important. There's a type of hill that I can stand up on the pedals and climb up for 8 continuous hours, and it's great! 1 degree more or less though and it screws me up.

GW
    Free Member

walk, chairlift, cattle truck or van & steep technical descents

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

AD+ on the Cresta Rey, Dufourspitze was my last great problem/poison, best route I've done to date. Technically easy, but a fantastic route and vista.

Sandwich

Scottish Grade III for preference.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

make it hard but not steep

RepackRider
    Free Member

This is the ride I took yesterday. Two of the best downhills in our area on the same ride. But of course you also have to climb them.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Where i live its lots of little short ups and downs, which seem to destroy me, i actually prefer a longer steady climb at least you can get into a rythm then and usually its rewarded at the top.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Rosset Ghyll in the Lakes was good, neraly an hour of hike a bike and then 1.5 km of descent in 15 mins, very many big rocks, weight right back all the way and a few trackstand/hoppy moments. Then a pint in the Old Dungeon.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

big climbs and sweet long decents 🙂 remember if you want to have fun going down theres always going to be a really long tiring climb lol

noteeth
    Free Member

Anything where you have to employ good body english and lots of swearing… on tricksy woodland singletrack that you only ever clear 50% of the time.

That – and big panoramic hillclimbs (obviously).

GaryLake
    Free Member

CwmCarn and Whites, bit of tech to keep you distracted and entertained. I am a fan of getting up high, staying high and then a nice big down.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Up with a tearoom at the top followed by down and a toilet at the bottom! :mrgreen:

GaryLake
    Free Member

Rosset Ghyll in the Lakes was good, neraly an hour of hike a bike and then 1.5 km of descent in 15 mins, very many big rocks, weight right back all the way and a few trackstand/hoppy moments. Then a pint in the Old Dungeon.

Rarely a descent feels worth it if it needs a hike a bike, esp for an hour. I'd prob so snowdon once for the novelty but otherwise I'd rather ride up something. 😕

westkipper
    Free Member

The best climbs are ones where there is a lot of variety in the ascent- steep woody, rooty sections, steeper bits that take concentration to keep traction,steeptastic heathery singletrack followed by maximum steepitude scree sections with stunning views.
    The worst ones are the boring monotonous gentle gradients that just destroy your soul as you grind into a headwind for mile upon mile on some 5% fireroad.

brakeswithface

Sport climbing is often maligned by those too weak to do it properly 😈

DezB
    Free Member

Anything but a road climb.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I like all kinds of climbing. The mountains I usually hit have an elevation of around 900m so there is usually around at least 50 minutes of relentless anti-gravity work. The toughest climb I have ever done has to be this year in the Italian Alps at the Garda Lake. Granny ring grinding from near Arco at the start on a loose rocky track that ended 1600m higher. Loved every minute of it! 😈

ianv
    Free Member

"Sport climbing is often maligned by those too weak to do it properly"

Too True!!

cheers_drive

I'd rather have a long middle ring singletrack climb than a short steep fireroad granny climb.
    I'm not a great climber but singletrack engages the brain and distracts from the pain. Once I start running out of gears unless its really short I lose my drive and just bimble to the top.
    There is a perfect gradient that provides enough resistance to attack but not so much that you can't afford a missed pedal stroke.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Climbing – I like cwmcarn climb. nice and testing and a decent descent at the end. same with innerleithen. Big up and then big down. A few minor leg recoveries on the climb.
    Decending – HSD at gawton is pretty damn fun, same with brechfa red. Neither are rough enough though.

long technical up, singletrack on a very mild descent then a real mixed bag on a gradient that doesn't heat the brakes up too much. its just a waste then.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Climbing – what's your poison?’ is closed to new replies.