Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • climbing harness for filming
  • jedi

i’m after one for sitting in and filming stuff in trees. i need a sit harness. any recommends?

BikePawl
    Free Member

Try looking for tree surgeons stuff, they’ll be a lot comfier for extended periods of sitting in than a climbing harness

highclimber
    Free Member

defo get an aborists harness or use a bosuns chair with a regular climbers harness and maybe a chest rig too

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I know it’s kind of annoying (but very stw) when people answer the questions by suggesting something completely different but…

I’d rig up some kind of seat/plank of wood type thing and just use a regular climbing harness for safety purposes, that way unless you screw up you’ll just be sitting in a seat without having to have your weight supported by the harness. Much more comfortable, and pretty easy to rig.

edit: Beaten to it ^^^

highclimber
    Free Member

I’d rig up some kind of seat/plank of wood type thing and just use a regular climbing harness for safety purposes,

Thats what I suggested so I wouldn’t apologise for suggesting something different!

jedi

hmmmmmmmmm. finding a place local that sells a sit harness is hard.

wwaswas

finding a place local that sells a sit harness is hard.

That’s the trouble with tree harness suppliers – there’s never a branch near you.

igmc.

highclimber
    Free Member

hmmmmmmmmm. finding a place local that sells a sit harness is hard.

make a bosun’s chair, much cheaper (free if you know where to look for off cuts of wood).

jedi

pmsl 🙂

me being me, i want one NOW! 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A sit harness would be a royal pain in the arse if you were sitting in it for an extended period of time. I like the idea of the seat that people have mentioned.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

This sort of thing:

although I’d still use a regular climbing harness for the safety rather than that blue safety rope in the picture

jedi

so a climbing harness for getting up there and a seat when i’m up there…..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is Harlow anywhere near you? There is apparently a GoOutdoors shop there – they should sell harnesses etc.

jedi

they do but not sit ones

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

so a climbing harness for getting up there and a seat when i’m up there…..

Keep the climbing harness on all the time. Think of it as two systems, the seat is for a bit of comfort the harness is in case you fall. Doing it this way means that the harness rope doesn’t need to be tight while you’re working. Much more comfortable.

As for getting up there, kind of depends on the situation but some kind of ascender/prussik knot type affair would probably be useful

jedi

yeah i use a friction knott (prussik)?

TooTall
    Free Member

Find your local friendly tree surgeon.

Ask them where they get their kit and a recommendation of what to buy.

Follow advice given.

Win.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you get prusik loops, you could maybe use a harness and keep standing up in the large prusik loop to relieve the discomfort, it depends how long you will be hanging around. alternatives to the prusik knot are worth experimenting with for ease of use. Autoblock or klienhiest (sp?), both similar knots and easier to release after being loaded than a prusik knot.

jimsmith
    Free Member

I work as a climber, my fave and current harness is the newtribe work saddle harness
    Ive also got a tengu for when im clmibing with just hand tools
    v v comfy
    dunno about uk availability
    they do cool seats and hammocks too

one nice thing i saw in canada was a trampoline suspended in a tree by bits of seatbelt pulled together up to a central point.. it had a bit of tarp wrapped around it
    the guy called it a tree tipi
    pretty cool

iain1775
    Free Member

Ive got an old harness from work you could have Jedi, its a full on Sala harness from my days climbing pylons, couple of lanyards and stuff there too and a man-u-just (wrap it around something, adjust to right length and just lean back, to work away hands free)
    Ive sat in it on a bosuns chair for full days at a time at the top of 1000′ TV masts(actually fell asleep once!!)
    Probably too heavy to post though so not sure how I would get it to you

jedi

that sounds awesome!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Klemheist not klienhiest 🙂

damion
    Free Member

Jedi, I’m in shefford and an ex-tree surgeon, will be around wgc on Saturday, happy to show you the basics of tree climbing

Oh, and Stuart browns in maulden have got all the climbing kit you could ever ask for

jedi

damion, cheers but one of the rideers at herts is a tree surgeon and has shown me. its just he is stoopid busy and hard to contact when not in riding mode

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Sitting in a climbing harness can cause death in as little as 20 minutes. Google “suspension trauma” for more details.

Bosuns chair type stuff with a harness in case of fall is much better, but you must have a rescue plan in hand in case you do fall!

(Not that I teach this stuff at work or anything…)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

boriselbrus which is why bikepawl and others recomeded a tree surgeons harness as that is designed to be sat in for hours at a time – right tool for the job

From google
    http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/climbing-equipment/harnesses/willans-t222-wide-pad-climbing-harness/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have you tried a cable cam set up?
    http://www.singletraction.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/2011-04-16_11_42_06_resize.jpg

[video]http://vimeo.com/22493718[/video]

99percentchimp
    Free Member

This might help…. add climbing harness as safety backup.

“How to make a Belay Seat
    Setting out on a big steep wall sans belay seat is not a good idea. I’ve met climbers who spent days sitting in just their harness and suffered long-term nerve damage in their legs because of it. The best way to get a belay seat is to make one. All you need is a piece of plywood, some cord, gaffer tape and a sit mat. The wood needs to be about a third wider than your hips and thick enough to inspire confidence when hanging above the abyss. Getting a piece of wood that’ll slide into the back of a haul bag will help give the bag some support when being carried.

Gaffer tape the sit mat on to the top of the board. Drill holes in all four corners. Then take around five metres of 8mm cord and feed it through the holes so you end up with a kind of swing effect, with the cord crisscrossing underneath the seat, with the knot tied with a double fisherman’s underneath. And now you’re ready for some 10-hour belay duty.”

jedi

we filmed herts 6-7 years ago with me and stophe on a zip line. typical try it and see kinda thing

matt_outandabout

Get a harness a step up from the most basic – our outdoor centre styleee DMM Alpines work, but are damn uncomfortable after a couple of minutes.

Something like this: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/momentum-al-harness-p156263

Do also make sure your mate has gone through basics of ropes, tying off and how to get down again….and share the pics!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘climbing harness for filming’ is closed to new replies.