Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Climbing at Westway Sports Centre – West London: Advice please
  • Mac
    Free Member

Hey all,

Does anyone climb at Westway?

I want to get into climbing however, while I have done some two years ago (in prep for rat races) I’ve forgotten exactly what you need to do to pass their induction? Its put on the harness, show you can do the double of figure of 8 and tie in/belay correctly I think.

I was hoping that someone on here could take me along as a novice and just give me a quick refresher on all this so that I can skip the induction course (next one isn’t till mid-Feb) and sit their induction exam straight away. I’m itching to get started.

Can anyone help?

Joe

Hello Mac,

I climb at the Westway occasionally when i’m in London (I am in the moment).

You need to demonstrate a tie in, be able to arrest a fall, belay using a device.

I wouldn’t mind going for a climb at some point this week if you’re interested and don’t have a partner. I haven’t been for a couple months and am feeling fat apres christmas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a guy called Jamie who posts here. He regularly goes on climbing dates with strangers.

Cougar

I’d offer, but you’re a bit far away.

Typically, when you sign up at a new wall you get a couple of random questions, but each is different and some are stricter than others. When I signed up at Leeds they actually came and watched me climb before they’d sign me off, never had that before.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I did have to prove I could tie off, and belay properly when I signed up at Westway once. The chap I was with had been climbing with us in Bristol for about six months but bottled under the pressure and completely forgot how to belay. 😯

We didn’t go in.

iDave
    Free Member

when i went to leeds they just asked me if I knew what to do 😯

which i did

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Climbing at Westway Sports Centre – West London: Advice please’ is closed to new replies.