Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Climbing and going to altitude in the Alps, how quick is too quick?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m trying to get some info on best practice with going to altitude in the Alps. I’ve been once before and went from Chamonix to Conscrits Hut (c2600m) on the first day and then up over Dome de Miage (3600m) on 2nd day – which was hard though not impossible, and definitely easier than Island and Mera Peak in Nepal…

The plan is below, which I think is too quick – sea level to 3500 in the same day. Any thoughts?

Flying out to Geneva , picking up a car and driving to Grindelwald then mountain railway to 3500m so will skip a long trudge up but won’t help much with acclimatising. Early start means we can spend the first night in a hut and get straight into it the next day.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Way too quick in my opinion but it varies a lot. Have you asked on UKC?
    I can’t seem to find it but thought there was a rule of thumb about sleeping gain or no more than than 1000/day up to 4000 and then 500/day above but going higher during the day. – Or I might just be making that up.

Spin
    Free Member

So night in hut at 3500m then up higher?

There’s some as reckon a night at altitude is better than a few days gradual build up.

Having said that other peoples advice on this is generally not the way to go as it’s all down to individual physiology.

neilc1881
    Free Member

I always found going straight up to 3500m to be comfortable, 3800m bearable, above that it wasn’t much fun. Hugely variable from person to person though (and also down to beer consumed the previous night, scale of walk-in, difficulty of climb etc, dehydration is a massive factor I believe).

paul4stones

Personally I’ve found fitness a big factor in how well I acclimatise. High during the day then sleep lower was the rule I was taught. Straight to 3500 would be too much for me but everyone is different.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very Random, it can hit people differently in different ways. However sounds like a bit of a fast ramp up. Is there an issue with spending the first night in the valley?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Climbing and going to altitude in the Alps, how quick is too quick?’ is closed to new replies.