Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Climbing
  • Xylene
    Free Member

How much elevation gain do you do on your average ride?

My current 22mile regular road ride takes me up 4000feet in total.

Xylene
    Free Member

Forgot to add

Runkeeper gives me 22miles 4000feet
    Strave 22 miles – 777feet

Is either of these known to be inaccurate on eleveations?

aracer
    Free Member

That’s quite a big difference – and 4000ft would be a huge amount of climbing on a 22 mile ride. I prefer to work in metric as it makes calcs like this easier – that’s 1200m in 35km, which is equivalent to continuously riding up or down an average of a 7% gradient. Does you ride have no flat at all in it? Do you spend most of your time climbing in bottom gear? What speed do you average?

Strava seems more likely – not known to be the most accurate, but not that bad either (it’s generally within 10% or so of my recorded climb using a barometric altimeter). 240m vertical in that sort of distance sounds more realistic – typical for me around here is 150m to 400m vertical an hour depending on the route, so that would be towards the bottom of that range.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d be a bit surprised if there’s more than a handful of 35km road routes in the UK with 1200m of climbing on it that aren’t shuttles on a hill. If any.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

You sure that’s climbing and not total elevation difference i.e climbs & descents?

Strava sounds like you may have feet & metres mixed up so you could be doing more like 2200ft of climbing

Xylene
    Free Member

I converted metric to imperial.

Not UK based just now.

Runkeeper says total climb 1293m 35.1km

None is flat at all on the ride.

Avg speed 25-28km/h

It is listing -m and+m so must be overall.

Xylene
    Free Member

Thanks folks, that has been on my mind for weeks now, I am sure that if I was climbing 1200m I would have legs like Lance Armstrong (am I allowed to say that these days?)

aracer
    Free Member

Just a very quick glance at that it’s clearly nowhere near 1293m climb – your main climb is only 70m, done twice. Strava estimate seems about right.

jonba
    Free Member

Different sites and different gps loggers record in different ways. The garmin bike units (or at least my edge 800) has an altimeter which I believe is more accurate although that gets confused occasionally. In the uk strava recalculates off maps but in other countries that is often a poor substitute. In Mallorca we had people claiming to do 6000m climb rides when those with altimeters were about half that.

You can download the gpx files from strava and try other programs. I find bikehike to be reliable. There is an elevation page where you can sense check the hills (e.g. does it claim you are hitting 1000m peaks in norfolk) and the overall gradient. Bit like what was done above.

J-R

Off road around The Surrey Hills, 1000ft climbing per 10 miles is pretty typical.

Xylene
    Free Member

I will email runkeeper and ask what is going on

peepingtom
    Free Member

Some elevations are way out . Happens with some garmins with a barometer as well not just phones .

https://www.strava.com/activities/94817299#5840712666

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

When I used Endomondo….it always made be feel good about myself.

Apparently Sherwood is 59,030ft of ascent…… 😀

ajantom

18 mile on the Quantocks today = 2931ft of climbing.

Nipper99
    Free Member

My out the door mixed route is 41k and 886m of climbing.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve tried to break 3000m in one ride but have never quite made it (would be easy in the Alps of course). Best I’ve managed is 2850m and 130km on a loop of the Peak distruct (on a road bike obviously).

aracer
    Free Member

Er, your linked example is a phone – I’m not sure you’ve proved the point. My Garmin with a baro altimeter has never recorded a climb amount which seemed at all off.

njee20
    Free Member

My Garmin (with barometric altimeter) seems to under read quite markedly, but I suspect its software as much as hardware – if I start a climb at 100ft, and climb to 500ft it’ll often only say I’ve done 200ft climbing.

The thermometer also under reads by 2-3 degrees always, so maybe something’s just wrong with the barometer!

Always tend to look at the Strava altitude, which tallies more with my old Garmin and other devices I’ve had.

peepingtom
    Free Member

aracer – Member

peepingtom » Some elevations are way out . Happens with some garmins with a barometer as well not just phones .
    https://www.strava.com/activities/94817299#5840712666

Er, your linked example is a phone – I’m not sure you’ve proved the point. My Garmin with a baro altimeter has never recorded a climb amount which seemed at all off.

Posted 11 hours ago # Report-Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/239114756 2 garmins reading a good 50% too much because of a low pressure .

ElShalimo

Plot your route on Mapometer website, it’s pretty good

breninbeener

Are you guys using the Evevation set point function on the Garmin?

My 500 lets u tell the unit your actual elevation so it can caibrate the barometer to your current hieght. On my usual route it works well, but the drift due to temp from my 20°c car to 4°c ambient can cause cvariation too.

antigee

similar issues with sports-tracker which i like because of way links in photos to locations on the recorded map – always been a bit wayward but up to a couple of months ago had lost some of it more random attributes – what gets me most is can’t edit the field so point of using it is starting to escape me

posted this on the support forum – several days ago and as would expect no answer

Ascent editing Galaxy S3 – I ride like a god but I’m not Pantani

last couple of months ascent/descent stats way off using Galaxy S3

A dead flat (boring holiday) sea level ride gave 350m ascent Polar gave me the expected 60m

Last weekend got 800m of ascent on a route with two climbs from sea level to 80m asl

Yesterday got 900m ascent on a long but flattish route that Polar recorded at 370m

I could run the routes thru ridewithgps to plot elevation to validate the Polar results but actually I’ve been riding for years and know roughly the ascent on a route

Q1 guess it might be my phone and not Sportstracker? though generally found accurate in past

Q2 as far as can see when hit edit this field isn’t available to edit? Can it be?[/i]

Xylene
    Free Member

I have a note2, i presume it gets the elevations from Google maps or somewhere else.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Climbing’ is closed to new replies.