Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Climbers – Long Alps sports routes near Geneva/Bourg St Maurice?
  • Shackleton

We are heading to the Alps for a weeks climbing at the end of Augusts before going to the White Room. We are flying into Geneva and getting a hire car but not sure where to go climbing.

We are looking for long mountain sports routes. We’ve been to Ailefroide a few times and it was great, is there anywhere else similar that isn’t more than ~4 hours drive from Geneva and Bourg St Maurice? Chamonix is the obvious alternative choice but it always seems busy and expensive whenever I am there and I don’t think that there are that many long routes anyway. I’ve tried UKclimbing but the route/area search function there is about as good as the forum search on here….! Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

S

timb34
    Free Member

Chamonix has a lot of choice on both sides of the valley in the Aiguilles or the Aiguilles Rouges for long routes, but a lot of them are rather adventurous sport climbing – unless things have changed a lot you’d be wise to take a lot more than just quickdraws. If that doesn’t put you off then places like the Peigne slabs are amazing – this is still one of the best routes I’ve done anywhere : http://www.martial-granite.com/article-le-ticket-le-carre-le-rond-et-la-lune-dalle-nw-du-peigne-108169280.html

But it’s proper mountain terrain, with potentially biff weather. Around Sallanches is supposed to be a good alternative, although I haven’t done much there. Have a look at places like Col de Colombière on climbingaway.fr for multipitch sport.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP. For search use Goolge with site:ukclimbing.com as first word

timb34
    Free Member

Having said that, Geneva airport is only 3h15 to Ceuse and only 4h45 to the Verdon 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Climbers – Long Alps sports routes near Geneva/Bourg St Maurice?’ is closed to new replies.