Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Climate change and war?
  • Trekster

Just watching the riot reports from Kiev and it got me thinking ❗

We are paying various taxes due to climate change and I just wondered what, if anything all the riots/wars/world conflict are contributing to what the scientist are measuring?

Just a random, uneducated muse 🙄

LHS
    Free Member

Probably helping rather than contributing.

Think about how many people have died in wars in the last 50-70 years
    Afghanisation
    Iraq
    Sudan
    Congo
    Vietnam
    Korea
    Nigeria…..

Must be in the ball park of 10million people.

That’s an awful lot of people not contributing to global greenhouse gases and consumption of natural resources.

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, but they are burning tyres dont you know. Thats not good, is it ?

crankboy
    Free Member

we need a few low emission high casualty wars in western nations it’s no good killing poor people from the third world they have very little negative impact on climate change .

willard

But they burned a lot of jungle in the Vietnam war and that can’t have helped things.

Also, 10 million people is not that big a burden on global warming given that the bulk/all of those were in countries that have a low per capita production of greenhouse gas*.

You’d need a decent global war covering lots of places with lots of people in to get a good reduction in global greenhouse gas production.

*except Iraq, where maybe the burning oilfields contributed a fair wadge.

TooTall
    Free Member

I just wondered what, if anything all the riots/wars/world conflict are contributing to what the scientist are measuring?

Not much at all compared to ‘normal’ human activity like power stations, cement manufacture, mining etc etc

Junkyard
    Free Member

Next to none .
    World peace will not alter climate change

jam-bo

Climate change will alter world peace.

once the oil wars are done, the water wars will be next…

jon1973
    Free Member

That’s an awful lot of people not contributing to global greenhouse gases and consumption of natural resources.

It’s also a pretty insignificant number of people compared to the amount by which the population has grown over the same period.

LHS
    Free Member

Yes but if 10million people all had 3 kids, and their kids had 3 kids, that’s 100million people not breathing, farting and using natural resources.

LHS
    Free Member

At a relatively low average of 5 tonnes per head, thats the same amount of emissions emitted by the UK per year. Must make a difference? No?

CountZero

once the oil wars are done, the water wars will be next…

Wouldn’t be the first time the water supply has been used as a weapon.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Water wars are the ones to be fearful of as said above.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think I’d revise that up the way buy a multiple of 2/3 perhaps 4.

Northwind

High mortality rates lead to high birth rates tbh so I doubt any of that works out beneficial.

willard – Member

But they burned a lot of jungle in the Vietnam war and that can’t have helped things.

7700 square miles according to a bit of googling, so basically nothing in terms of deforestation/dejungling. Much easier to do that sort of thing industrially than militarily.

Likewise people worried about burning oil in iraq, what do you think was going to happen to the oil?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    The Water wars are the ones to be fearful of as said above.

An independent Scotland shall rule the world! 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, so basically climate change will not be reduced by a few wars. But climate change will cause a few wars.

So, in a decade or two we are all f***ed.

Good job Ive only got a decade or two left then before I start loosing my marbles.

*contiunues to burn fossil fuels with no regard to the planet*

LHS
    Free Member

Afghanistan – 1.5M
    Korean War – 4.0M
    Nigerian Cival War – 3.0M
    Vietnam War – 2.0M
    Iran Iraq War – 1.0M
    Congo War – 3.0M
    Sudanese War – 2.0M

Total – 16.5M

Multiply that up over a couple of generations and you’re probably over 100M people

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s a pretty brutal way to cut down on climate change to be fair. Bunging in a bit of loft insulation has got to be better all round, surely?

Trimix
    Free Member

In reality I dont see anything the first world plans to do, or more importantly, will do; having any noticable effect on climate change.

A drastic lowering of the population will have a noticable effect.

MoreCashThanDash

We actually need a first world pandemic that mainly affects the young and the old. Reduces consumption and the pensions crisis.

I’ll try not think about it too much tonight when I tuck the kiss up in bed and then phone my mum 😥

LHS
    Free Member

Implement Sandmen?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s the other way around.

It is self-regulating. Once we start running out of oil climate change will reduce. It’ll reduce at the rate the population reduces through famine and war until it gets back to pre-fossil fuel levels.

Expect lots of riots along the way.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we’re not going to run out of oil, there’s chuffing loads of it.

there’s something like 50-100 years left of conventional oil.

and there’s much more* than that in the form of tar sands / oil shale / whatever.

(*much, much, much, much more)

5thElefant
    Free Member

We will eventually. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

ahwiles
    Free Member

definitely not in your lifetime.

5thElefant
    Free Member

definitely not in your lifetime.

Doesn’t sound so reassuring when someone else says it…

ahwiles
    Free Member

🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’re not my GP are you?

mrmo
    Free Member

However two important questions, is it economically viable to extract and Is it energy viable to extract?

No point extracting if no one can afford and not really much point if it takes more energy to extract than you obtain.

Much of the reserves are covered by the above two questions.

The issue isn’t really about running out, more about when we can no longer afford to extract what is left. Standard human practice has been to use a resource until another resource becomes more viable.

ElShalimo

There was a theory that Iraq invaded Kuwait for the relatively large acquifer not the oil

ahwiles
    Free Member

tar/oil sand/shale is already profitable at around $100/barrel.

and there’s a LOT that’s accessible for $100/barrel…

Standard human practice has been to use a resource until another resource becomes more viable.

exactly, we’ll move onto alternatives before we run out.

kimbers

but if we keep burning all this oil at an ever increasing rate will we **** the climate up so badly that well all die anyway?

5thElefant
    Free Member

but if we keep burning all this oil at an ever increasing rate will we **** the climate up so badly that well all die anyway?

Resources are finite but our economic model, and population growth, treats them as infinite. It doesn’t matter which comes first.

We won’t all die. Just most of us.

retro83
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

Well we’ve survived (and are currently still in) an ice age, glacial maximum, extinction level events (Mt Toba eruption) and global temperatures approx 3 degrees hotter than we have currently so I should think we’ll manage. (Albeit the world population was reduced to less than 10k individuals at some points!)

Trimix
    Free Member

Things are changing, so saying we have dealt with problems before and expecting us to deal with new ones is not realistic.

Population is currently exponential, even if its growth might slow its still growing.

Climate is changing.

Oil, Water, Wood, Food is running out. Its being consumed faster and faster, even for populations that are not growing like the UK one.

The differences will become more noticable. So even now we can see differences between us and our parents. Soon you will see differences between one decade and another that are as great as us and our parents.

maxtorque

Things like tanks etc are now starting to fall under emissions legislation (in the so called “off highway” category), which is slightly ironic i feel as it’s really the large pipe sticking out the FRONT of the thing you need to worry about 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Climate change and war?’ is closed to new replies.