Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Clicky BB (I think)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Getting a click/clicks from my BB area on my Croix De Fer:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Lq-avD_Cg[/video]

Everything, all Shimano 105, has less than 200 miles on it, so nothing should have worn. Before I start greasing everything like I am on a date with Deadlydarcy, does anyone more mechanically minded have an idea of a usual culprit…pedals/chainset bolts etc?

What I know:

Not the contact points, as does it pedalling out the seat, and with hands of the bars.

Does it under load, as seemingly under load from the crank side.

Always at the same 3pm-ish position.

Thoughts?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bearings too tight ?? Right knee ? Handlebars not quite seated in stem or not quite tightened up ? Headset needs tightening ? I’d look at those first …

bearnecessities

does it pedalling out the seat, and with hands of the bars

That’s some serious skills Jamie.

(EDIT: This is going to sound really daft, but it’s not excess cable from the front mech is it?)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can’t listen to the vid closely enough at work.

Usual suspects are loose/dry threads in any of:

chainring bolts, pedals, BB, crank.

bearnecessities – Member it’s not excess cable from the front mech is it?

[quote] Always at the same 3pm-ish position.
    [/quote]

wordnumb
    Free Member

Always at the same 3pm-ish position.

Remove and reposition cranks. Does noise now occur at a different point?
    Whenever I think I’ve got a noisy BB it turns out to be a pedal.

martymac

i would be checking the lh crank was correctly torqued.

timba
    Free Member

Can’t see the vid, if you have SPDs could be the cleat/shoe/pedal interface (good Sunday word)

P20

Check the bb threads are greased. Chainring bolts?

Junkyard
    Free Member

How much data to watch that …being careful this week 😉

hairyscary

Crank arm hitting the front mech?

iainc

Cleats ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Have removed, greased and refitted the pedals/cleat bolts/chainset pinch bolts and just had a clean out near the BB. Will check whether this has fixed it first before I move on to chainring bolts (checked they were tight) and BB. As mentioned, hardly any miles on anything, and the BB was fitted by Real Cycles where I got the frame from, so should have been all greased up on installation.

Nothing seems to be fouling the cranks, so think that can be ruled out.

iainc

Have a look at the rings just in case a tooth hasn’t got a little bent – I had that on Soul and took a long time to find it

righog
    Free Member

I had a similar noise on my first road ride this year (all 105 as well) and as you have not mentioned that you have checked it yet, It was the front mech a quick play around with the position and no noise. Just as hairy suggested.

Jamie
    Free Member

It was the front mech a quick play around with the position and no noise. Just as hairy suggested.

Define a quick play around. Loose clamp? Gear cable catching?

righog
    Free Member

All I had to do to fix my problem, was to slacken the front mech bolt and turn the mech slightly around the downtube and re tighten, but to be honest I reckon you would have noticed the crank hitting the mech ? on mine it was very slight but gave the same noise as your vid.

Jamie
    Free Member

Will double check anyway, cheers.

midlifecrashes

Less than 200 miles? Is that orange stick on plastic alignment guide still on the front mech and catching on the chain under load?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is that orange stick on plastic alignment guide still on the front mech and catching on the chain under load?

rickon
    Free Member

I’d almost guarentee that’s pedal threads. How much torque have you put through them? On some I’ve had to put over 20Nm through to stop the clicking, some thick grease and a proper torque is what’s required.

I’ve had the same on a few sets of XT cranks, and even swapped pedals with the same result – only when I grease up and torqued the buggery out of them did the clicking stop.

Exact same click/tick noise too.

I think the recommended torque is 20-40nm, so you’ve a lot to play with

mulacs

The bb on my cdf lasted less distance than that, and made a similar noise. I’d double check it’s not the bearings. Cheap shimano ones are a bit rubbish…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Clicky BB (I think)’ is closed to new replies.