Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Clicking sc chameleon
  • DarrenH

There’s an infernal clicking coming from my chameleon and it’s getting right on my tits.
    The eccentric bb has been stripped and re-greased,
    the second possible trouble spot, the headset has been stripped and re-greased.
    I went out on it today and the clicking is still there,
    it clicks in time with pedal strokes, still does it when I stand up whilst pedaling so it’s not the saddle post or rails.
    Only thing left that I can think of is maybe the bottom bracket cups are on the way out?
    It was a frame off of ebay but it’s only 2 to 3 years old and still in good nick.
    I’m running out of ideas stw collective please help.
    And it’s not my knees clicking btw
    Cheers DH

muckytee
    Free Member

Mech hanger, qr skewer

DarrenH

cheers, thats 2 ideas.
    My plan is to give it a really good scub down and start checking top to bottom.

RealMan
    Free Member

Sounds stupid, but have you made sure the excess front mech cable isn’t getting knocked by the DS crank arm?

Had a lot of trouble getting my SC Cham BB to stop creaking though.

Is it a creak or a click?

BB, pedals? Can you get it to make the noise with the bike still and putting pressure on the pedals?

DarrenH

Tried the front mech cable realman, not that, wish it was that easy! 😕
    It’s definately a “tick tick tick” in time with the pedal strokes.
    Maybe once or twice I’ve made it click with the bike still and pushing on the pedals, not enough to point straight there though 😐

Goz
    Free Member

What BB are you using ?

DarrenH

A shimano xt external m770

portlyone

The thread on my EBB started to wear, once it was replaced it was quiet.

Also maybe get a cheap BB from Rose and try that?

ChrisL

I’d double, then triple check the EBB. I regreased mine several times and the clicking wouldn’t go away but eventually an LBS found another part of it to grease and it finally stopped.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve had this caper on a mates scc before. As for as the ebb is concerned, too much grease is nearly enough. Also look at chain ring bolts. However, if It’s not the bb area, my money would be on the mech hanger.

DarrenH

Thanks again guys.
    More things to try next week! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pedal threads are the first port of call, then chainring bolts, and sq taper crank bolts if present.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Had it on one bike, turned out to be bling alloy chainring bolts coming undone. Check em !

gribble
    Free Member

I have the exact same issue on a Rockrider frame. The frame has recently been changed due to warranty, still annoying click. Time for a strip down and grease up.

Last sentence not meant to sound like prison speak.

amplebrew

I had an annoying click on my singlespeed that only mannifested itself when pedalling. I stripped an greased everything and then eventually narrowed it down to the rear brake calliper.

It appeared that the when putting force through the drivetrain, something must have been catching on the rear brake which caused a metallic like click.

I took off the caliper , cleaned it, replaced the pads, centered it, and the click stopped.

It took me ages to find as I was convinced it was coming from the crank or seatpost area due to it only happening when I was pedalling.

timmys

In my experience if it’s definitely a ‘tick’ then it’s going to be related to a rotating bearing – usually BB but could be a pedal axle.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Pedal bearing.

DarrenH

Cheers again everyone.
    It’s done the ticking with 2 different sets of pedals on,
    Managed to get a pair of thinnies, which are fitted atm, so they’re fairly new.
    Reckon I’ll check the bearings anyway!

billysan
    Free Member

My Cham seems to develop a BB area click every 6 months or so. I full strip down of the EBB, including removal of the cups, regrease and reassembly seems to sort it. Im pretty thorough doing this now as the first time I tried I didnt get rid of the click. If Im meticulous about cleaning it all up it does actually sort it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Clicking sc chameleon’ is closed to new replies.