Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Clicking headset?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

after servicing the headset, and curing an annoying creak everytime i put pressure on the bars…..i thought that was the end of that….

but now that has been replaced by an annoying click instead, pretty constant on moving the bars and going over the rough stuff??

any ideas?

samuri
    Free Member

It’s probably not the headset. Stem to bar clamp or stem to tube clamp IMO.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth checking where your cables fit into the frame-stops, we’ve come across some horrendous sounding noises from these.

jedi

my 1.5 ck headset does this. kin does my head in 🙁

SBrock
    Free Member

after servicing the headset, and curing an annoying creak everytime i put pressure on the bars…..i thought that was the end of that….

How did you cure this? I have an annoying creak just like this around the Head Tube (SC Butcher), it is a Hope Tapered Headset?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys – will check cable ends/ferrules etc…could as stupid as it sounds be the cables knocking agaist the frame, though i cant really see that being it..

cure wise for the creak/cracking nosie – just serviced the headset, a good clean out of all parts, and the bearings in the hope headset were very mucky etc, i packed them lightly with some grease and gave everywhere else a good greasing too…creak/cracking noise instantly gone

then i get an annoying click to replace that 😆 you cant win sometimes

RealMan
    Free Member

I had a creak in my headset a week or two ago.

Make sure it’s nice and tight, and that the top cap isn’t touching the steerer at all.

I changed my crown race from a split ring to a normal one, this solved it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

top cap touching the steerer? how does that work sir? sorry if that sounds dumb, but it just screws on how can it avoide touching steerer?

and as i have a head doctor does that need to be done up reallll tight first off?

then the stem cap screw nice and tight in there and then tighten up the stem screws?

lucien

To OW, put enough spacers between the top of the stem and top cap, 5mm or so should do it…

metal_leg
    Free Member

Remember the stem cap is not load bearing – it should be used to take the slack out (i.e. clamp the fork in snug) before using the stem bolts to tighten up for real. The stem should be taking the load. If your stem cap touches the steerer, then you wont be able to take the slack out properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Clicking headset?’ is closed to new replies.