Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Clicking bars
  • mjsmke

This makes me feel like an amature for asking but ive never not been able to fix this before. Bars started clicking so did the usual and checked the stem bolts and contact points and lightly greased. Clicking stopped for about 15 miles then came back.

Is it likely to be the headset? Bikes only done about 200 miles. Renthal apex stem and FSA headset.

Should i strip and grease the headset?

Suggsey
    Free Member

On the back of this thread I recently brought some carbon assembly paste that states its for all assembly too.would if be an idea to complete reassembly using carbon assembly paste intead of grease to prevent creakage?
    You sure it’s not the stem fork interface creaking?
    The tiniest spec of muc can make for the most annoying creaks- my mates always wincing at my bike creaking, I just switch off from it 😆

jsync

What fork is it? Pike?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s the bars flexing in the stem. You’ll see signs of fretting if you take them off the stem.

mjsmke

They are Pikes but pretty sure its not them. If I pull on the bars the lean the bike on a tree/wall, sometimes just touching the bars makes the click.

So if i strip, clean, reassemble should I just grease bolts and bar/stem interface or anything else? Worth greasing the headset too?

If it helps it only does it when cruising and seated. Not while standing or on rough ground.

iainc

Carbon paste on the bar stem interface

scaredypants

I had the ferrules on the ends of my cable outers creaking at the insertion into the v-brake lever (cable discs). Presumably can happen with gear cable too.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be about a new energy bar you’d invented…

mjsmke

I had cteaking ferrules on my FSR. That took me ages to find but so satisfying when i did. This is a metalic click and cables are internal.

mjsmke

Well I stripped cleaned and greased the headset and stem but the clicking is still there. Thinking now it must be the forks. Dissapointed would be an understatement. Another trip back to the shop tomorrow.

jsync

I think I have the same…

andyl
    Free Member

check your seat post, BB and cranks. Noises can travel up the frame and fool you.

Also check your wheels are tight.

mjsmke

Quick update. The LBS said its fixed and not the forks! They said the noise has gone after stripping and greasing different parts starting at the rear end working forward. I was so convinced it was the forks. Pick it up Thursday when they’re open late and I’ll ask for more details then.

mjsmke

Another update. LBS stripped, cleaned and greased lots of parts (axles, wheels, BB, pivot points, stem, bars) to eliminate the noise. After a short ride round a carpark the noise is back and i’m convinced it’s the forks so they’re sending them back to Sram tomorrow.

Now to decide if this weekend will be a Road or Single Speed ride.

jruk
    Free Member

I thought my bars were clicking. Turned out to be my seatpost clamp.

bgd
    Free Member

I thought my Pikes were doing the same. Turned out the stem faceplate bolts needed torquing, a bit of carbon paste helped also.

mjsmke

We even tried a different stem to rule that out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Clicking bars’ is closed to new replies.