Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cliche Bike Recommendation Please – Goldilocks bike – Quiver Killer etc
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I am after a Goldilocks bikes recommendations – not to beefy, not too racey, not too heavy, not too light, not too much travel, not too little travel – I want one that is just right!

Following the theft of all my bikes and the upgraded garage security and addition of some insurance cover (after 20 years with out any) I’m gonna buy a mountain bike to do it all on.

I want a full susser to ride (and carry) up mountains and back down again. I ride mostly in the Lakes and enjoy steep rocky tech and nadgery singletrack, but I also like technical climbs and big vistas.

Bikes I’ve liked and owned – my stolen Stumpjumper with Marzocchi forks, my old Pitch with Lyriks for smashing through stuff.

Bikes I’ve not liked and sold quite quickly – Giant Anthem was to steep and twangy. Ragley mmmBop too stiff and unyeilding.

Its probably going to be secondhand and some where around a grand or so. I’m thinking somewhere around 130-160mm of travel and anything from big hitting Nukeproof Megas/Spesh Enduros to a Vitus Escarpe 29er and anything in between.

chakaping
    Free Member

I mentioned before that I got cleared out last year. Well I rushed into getting replacements a little too quickly tbh.

In hindsight I would’ve got a 140mm or 150mm bike – probably a Zesty – which could take a 150mm or 160mm fork.

Then I’d have got two forks so that I had lighter and more burly options.

tomaso
    Free Member

Hindsight is something I’m learning to deal with this week as I sort beefy garage security and insurance :mrgreen: However, I’ve never been very good at being patient when new toys are involved and want them yesterday!

Zesty looks decent enough, and I need to try not to satisfy my desire for some macho willy waving bike that says in a deep voice “I really need the Spicy” but I probably don’t 99% of the time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you need exactly what I have (the STW response)

Carbon 140mm bike with 160mm forks builds from 12-13.5kg dependent on mood, pedals like a HT descends like a dream, 66 and a bit up front

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FWIW, my take on the quiver killer bike is an Enduro.

Light enough for all day epics, burly enough to shred the gnat. Adjustable travel forks are a big plus for me, as it helps greatly with longer climbs. Saddle up, fork down, and grind on up the hill. Add a dropper post to the longer travel setting of the fork and the bike transforms itself.

tomaso
    Free Member

I have an illogical fear of carbon and like aluminium.

tomaso
    Free Member

CaptainFlash – which year Enduro have you got?

euain

Pivot Mach 5.7 – available in carbon and aluminium flavours..?

chakaping
    Free Member

Zesty looks decent enough, and I need to try not to satisfy my desire for some macho willy waving bike that says in a deep voice “I really need the Spicy” but I probably don’t 99% of the time.

Yeah, there’s loads of good 140mm options out there.

Norco Sight looks good, I love the Mondraker Foxy but they’re not to everyones taste – very long and low.

I found a 140mm bike with a good 160mm fork could handle rugged Lakes riding just as well as a 160mm/160mm – and be so much quicker on more XC-biased rides too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The carbon feels much better and mine comes with a 5 year warranty.

tomhoward

2014 Zesty AM frame (the 27.5 one) is the same as the spicy, just a less burly build and 150mm forks, rather than 160. 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Budget wise I think I’m gonna have to go secondhand so the latest 2014 models are probably unatainable.

Kahurangi

For a real no-compromise quiver killer you’ll have to spend a lot to get the weight down and the adjustability up (not to mention the performance!).

Ho much have you saved by no parying insurance premiums for the last 20 years (in essence, self-insuring)? 20 x GBP 200 P/A? Spend that much :mrgreen:

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! I’m not kidding, either! 😀

TheFlyingOx

Its probably going to be secondhand and some where around a grand or so.

Cue a thread full of £4000+ superbike recommendations.

OP – you liked your old Pitch. Get a new second hand Pitch and be done with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my ebay link has gone (must have broken the rules) but a quick scan showed a Blur LTc up to £500 which is bargain prices for one of those. Perfect starting point (the LT Alu is only a little heavier too)

toys19
    Free Member

Pitch is a good bike. I have a covert, it was billed as a quiver killer, as long as you need a DH bike in your quiver….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cliche Bike Recommendation Please – Goldilocks bike – Quiver Killer etc’ is closed to new replies.