Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • CLIC24
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ll be there mr a 🙂

Got any one-handed barrows? 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have been looking at this corner and the images in some detail with my assistant this morning.
    It’s enormously telling when you look at them. I’ll have the full upload shortly so maybe you can check this out too as there are maybe 30 shots taken on the exit.
    In essence, the fast riders look up and firstly into and then out of the corner.

The fastest line is to stay out to the right on the approach, but not too wide, then steering close to the apex (the tree), and running wide under power on the exit which is a down-hill, off camber tightening radius with roots – and it’s wet. A classic corner to observe the various techniques of the quick and the not-so-quick!

It’s at the tree where you see the riders’ eye-lines switch with the fast riders who then look at the exit point and then beyond. If you’re quick through here, the head & lid are up and over to the left.

More steady riders look down at the ground, and put simply, the brain can’t process this macro-vision approach so there’s a limit to how quickly you can ride when you look only 2-4ft in front of your front wheel.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The fastest line is to stay out to the right on the approach, but not too wide, then steering close to the apex

Aye, that was pretty much what I was doing – its the line I’ve taken for the last 3 years without problem anyway 🙂 Bike just seems to ride itself round the corner due to the camber. I dunno what happened, I just ended up on the deck, I just assumed I’d caught a root as it s bit clattery over the apex.

Its a nice section with the run in and and ruts on the way out. Very swoopy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Any pictures of this corner? I can’t really visualise the one you mean.

elliptic
    Free Member

It’s the rooty lefthander that wakes you up halfway down the Postal path (from Gluhwein Corner to the bottom of Ellick Express) 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

oh. Mostly I’ve gone high and left at the fork just above that. It certainly wakes one up in the wet though.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Assuming I’m thinking of the same bit, I think I was dropping in to the right and cutting across the roots to the left…

Anyone else doing laps in their sleep last night? 🙄

Ti29er
    Free Member

Pics up in maybe 15 mins, although in its infinate wisdom, Adobe has chosen to omitt a whole host of images (why do I hate Adobe sooooo much!?) , so the whole upload will have to be re-done later this evening.
    Meaning: if you’re not in this upload and rode on Sunday morning you might still be in the final pictures – so bear with me please.
    Tim

elliptic
    Free Member

Actually one of our faster regulars swears by drifting the outside line next to the fence all the way round, but he’s an ex MX rider who also claims not to bother spotting landings for jumps until he’s already in the air… 😯

sharki
    Free Member

I’m sure theres enough entrance speed to utilize one of the first roots as a kicker, so you can pretty much jump clear of the section….

I think on my one lap, i went round the tree to the left and rode through the blue bells….my walking boots weren’t to gripping on my mud covered plactic spd insert jobbies…

Steve, i’ll look through mine again and see if there’s a 103 lurking in the congested first lap pics

xc-steve
    Free Member

Thanks Sharki… however wouldn’t waste your time didn’t do first lap 😳 my first lap was in around the 3rd hour!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve got absolutely no idea which corner you’re all talking about.
    Jumping off a kicker? Drifting around the outside? Uh?

Someone’s going to need to post a pic.

underthesun
    Free Member

No I’ve got no idea either??

terrahawk
    Free Member

whatever it is, it sure sounds exciting 😉

underthesun
    Free Member

I think I’ve got an idea but can’t remember a kicker!! It was a left hand root infested corner if I’m right but I didn’t think it was anything to worry about. I was taking the entrance close to the tree and exiting wide near the fence (if its the same corner we are all on about). I would have only straight lined it when dry TBH.

sharki
    Free Member

It won’t be a big arse obvious kicker.

Even a small stone/root/small animal can be used to gain a little air time.

Where is it you ask????

After going through the gate(after very short stoney climb..all 8 metres of it) and turning right you ride across the moorland, through dips and hollows in the trail, a few ruts, etc to avoid, as it starts to gently point downwards there’s a little corner or straight on for root fest, this took you a little steeper downwards before entering the tree line, a few twists then duck, and cross the stream bed or fall off..
    Delete as applicable.

Leon
    Free Member

I need to fess up.

I’m one of the LVIS Singlespeed Superstars, and although we are singlespeed superstars, once we saw all the road that was on the course, we decided to ride geared (give everyone else a chance :-).

I tried to get the organisers to change our name, but apparantley it was too difficult, so everytime I went past the timing tent I scribbled out SS and wrote “gears” on the sheet.

terrahawk
    Free Member

oh, that.

Yeh, I did 360 superman seatgrabs at that bit.

MrAgreeable

Leon, you have trampled roughshod over my tender boyhood dreams.

Fair play though, looks like it was minging. 😉

xc-steve
    Free Member

I remember the corner, I think, well it was raining and I was soaked, and I saw someone on the trail and slowed down because I thought someone had crashed then realised it was a camera man, much like on a night lap, I saw someone in the grass slowed down shouted you alright? Turned out it was a camera man! BOO! Need a Sign before so I can get my racing tuck on!

elliptic
    Free Member

That corner’s been talked up a bit more than it deserves :rolleyes: but it is one of those satisfying technical features that can be ridden *much* faster than you think, when you get it right.

So… who was riding and who was walking on the first Twin Brook crossing (the one with the rocky step-up)? 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m one of the LVIS Singlespeed Superstars, and although we are singlespeed superstars, once we saw all the road that was on the course, we decided to ride geared (give everyone else a chance :-).

Can’t say I blame you – I rode the parade lap SS to see what conditions were like before breaking out the Fullsusser (which I did and it got caked to sh*t anyway as it rained before my first counted lap). I was riding with a geared team mate, pulled a minute or so out on him and then lost a full 5 mins to him just coasting down the road section spinning out.

GaryLake
    Free Member

So… who was riding and who was walking on the first Twin Brook crossing (the one with the rocky step-up)?

Walked the actual stream but cleared the root fest immediately after which everyone seemed to also walk, wasn’t nearly as difficult as it actually looked.

With the brook crossing, in my defence, it just looked like a clipped in tumble into the ditch waiting to happen and conditions sucked enough as it was!

sharki
    Free Member

I was at that corner for about 2 hrs taking pics and tree felling.

Only saw 3 people clear it, best and fastest effort was Mr curtis, who rammed his ss into the rock and cleared it, but ended up partially in the under growth, lol

Good to see riders knowing their limits and not taking risks, i stalled there 2 years ago and re tore my knee ligaments….

God knows why i attempted it this year given my present condition and attire at the time…..lol, gotta be done though eh??

xc-steve
    Free Member

Yeah I didn’t feel any less manly for walking it! Rode the bit right after though! I think the big one is who resorted to using granny ring to ride the final kick in the balls bit after the firetrail uphill? (you know turn right off the firetrail to the moor bit) I forced myself to stay in middle! YEAH THAT’s HOW I ROLL!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think the big one is who resorted to using granny ring to ride the final kick in the balls bit after the firetrail uphill?

Granny every lap baby! And I walked it on my last night lap but then I was yawning and almost nodding off at the bars…

clubber
    Free Member

I’m one of the LVIS Singlespeed Superstars, and although we are singlespeed superstars, once we saw all the road that was on the course, we decided to ride geared

You rode GEARED!!! Does Nouveau even have a bike with them? He probably spent 24hrs trying to work out what the flappy things under his brakes were…

I’ll have to think of a fitting punishment for sullying your team name 🙂

Leon
    Free Member

I was already punished. On the first lap my front derailleur bolt sheared, and I spent 5 minutes faffing around getting half a bolt out and replacing it with one of my bottle cage bolts.

stupid gears.

Alex

I tried different lines on every lap over those roots. I managed straight over/nearly hit the fence, stay as far outside as I dare/nearly hit the fence, follow a guy slipping about with his back light flashing/nearly ran him over, etc, etc.

Still the lines grooved in on the last descent and the lovely rocky descent about 1/3 of the way round, I much preferred to go down the middle rather than near the side. No point hauling a 5in travel hardtail round and then taking the non rocky route!

I’m averagely useless but a refusal to accept my riding limits, I rode the stream twice. First time was great and managed to get up on the left afterwards and clear the whole section. I was so insanely pleased with myself, I thought my new found riding skills would put let me glide over this trail obstacle every lap.

Next time, I *nearly* fell in after stalling on a rock mid stream and then rode the roots like a drunkard, eventually shoulder butting a tree as I span out.

After that I walked it 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

All my shots here, i would’ve got alot more if didn’t get ran over….. 😉

http://shane.photos.fotopic.net/c1698721_1.html
    And check out the power going through that rear wheel…..

Leon
    Free Member

Hey Sharki – that’s me 🙂

Check out the horrific gillet – €6 from Go Sport in Paris!

clubber
    Free Member

But at least it matches the kit 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

I thought it was you leon, but i got a mail of some bloke Lynam…..i think i’ve sent to many off and got confuzzled. 😕

They’ve been sent to the LVIS addy for sure though..

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got them all, thanks Sharki 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sometimes I look at you Leon and wonder how you don’t snap in half.

😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

The rest of the images are now live.
    5 orders thus far!
    I was in the bushes on that corner at 11:00-11:15 on Sunday only.
    Cheers
    Tim

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’s power Sharki. He seems to be applying the brakes…

:o~

xc-steve
    Free Member

BOOOO! 15plus pages of images and not a single one of me! BAH! I’m defiantly a ghost! anyone 103?

sharki
    Free Member

steve 103, were you in a blue and red, baggy looking tor, sort of a cross thing going on with the pattern, dark greyish E5 lid and white flat bars???

Leon
    Free Member

Sometimes I look at you Leon and wonder how you don’t snap in half.

I wonder the same thing when I see pictures. There’s one of me on Nouveau’s Facebook CLIC gallery, and with armwarmers on it looks like two sticks of liquorice poking out of my jersey!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘CLIC24’ is closed to new replies.