Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • cli-machx trail
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

going to BPW on monday, was gonna blast down (from Mancheseter) sunday night and camp at Grawen but just thinking seeing as the cli-machx is fully open again for the first time in forever it might worth setting off a bit earlier and doing a detour via Machynlleth…?

its only 10 miles or so, so was thinking i could maybe get there for tea-time-ish then get round before dark. bite to eat in the Tafarn maybe then crack on down to Merthyr.

Having never been before, and usually struggling to find a good enough excuse to go all that way for a 10 mile loop – should i bother??

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a cracking final descent but the climb is a bit dull. The middle bit is nice enough. If I was the area I’d definitely ride it but that’s quite a detour. If you are heading to bpw then I think I’d do something nearer there (Brecon beacons, cwmcarn) or something more on the way (long mynd?)

jekkyl

LLandegla.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i worked in Bristol for a while and drove over to CwnCarn a few times, Afan too. plus theyre a bit long. Long Mynd is a day out n’all. also dont wanna ride natural on my own because i will definitely get lost and end up an American werewolf!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

if you’re in the area i think its worth the detour, although not ridden it for a few years. final decent through the tree’s was always great fun (watch out for the big red arrow), but i’m not sure if they’ve heavlily felled that part now?

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a newish trail at Cwmcarn if you haven’t been for a while. I don’t think you’ll regret a detour to mach and it is a nice drive but they are slow roads.

soobalias
    Free Member

i’d do mach over degla every day of the year.

nice to hear its fully open again *plans*

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Yeah I wouldn’t mind doing degla in the dark if I can’t set off to machynlleth early enough, but I wouldn’t bother otherwise.

Stiggy

Final descent is great, you can do the full loop, then a straight climb to just do the final descent, just follow your nose

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Yeah? What straight back up the way you came down? This may have just sold it.

beefheart
    Free Member

I did it a few days ago- well worth the detour I’d say, and it seems more bouldery and full of gnar than I remember.
    I didn’t see another soul there either.
    If you want a short cut to do the final descent again after doing the loop, just go back down the fire road towards the main road, and keep right- follow the lane/fire road all the way to the top.

Also, there was a ‘car park closed’ sign on the way up to the car park- I assume this was left behind after the forestry work, as it was open and no work was going on.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Leave a bit earlier and go to nant yr Arian

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

hmmm, thats food for thought… although im kindda sold on the longest singletrack descent in Wales, twice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘cli-machx trail’ is closed to new replies.