• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ton.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Clever TV stuff – Nexus Player, Chromecast, Roku Stick?
  • spooky_b329

We have a Vision box on our main TV, but after realising there is no easy way to add Vision to a second TV like you can with Sky using a magic eye, I’m looking at how we can get iPlayer and other on demand channels on our lonely freeview only TV.

Obvious choice is Chromecast for £30 ish, does iplayer but don’t think it does 4OD etc?

Or I can wait for the Nexus Player, probably three times as much as Chromecast but is it three times better?

Or a random option I just stumbled across, the Roku Streaming stick (2014 version with copycat Chromecast), seems like it includes 4OD and Demand5 in addition to iPlayer.

So as a couple with Android phones, a tablet and a Chromebook, whats the best option? Anyone using the above?

chvck
    Free Member

Now tv box for £9 is what I’m using, doesn’t do netflix but does all other usuals. You need a now tv account but not subscription. Only plays at up to 720p.

beej

I’ve got a Roku box attached to the main TV and a Chromecast on the garage (turbo trainer) TV.

Roku works better in the living room as it comes with a real remote (and GF doesn’t have a smartphone). There’s not much between them, Roku has more channels but Chromecast will let me throw videos from my phone. My Roku doesn’t do that but the stick one might.

That’s not really much help, is it?

spooky_b329

mmm, NowTV box looks interesting.

So its £9.99 delivered and if I don’t want a subsciption to movies/sport/entertainment its subscription free? Do you get iPlayer/ITV/4OD/Demand5 on the subscription free option? How about the Apps, can I add youtube etc without a subscription?

chvck
    Free Member

Yeah subscription free, you just can’t use the now tv app(s). You can use the other options without a sub, I don’t pay and can use them. It has an app store (theyre all free afaik) – http://images.now.nowtv.com/Web/BSKYBMovies/%7B39904bcf-01ac-4285-977e-8a25da387bb5%7D_available_apps_30July2014.pdf. I mostly use it for the Plex client (not available in the app store and requires a bit of config poking) as I have a Plex media server.

EDIT – The now tv is basically a restricted roku box as far as I know.

ton

if you buy a triax trilink modulator you can use a 2nd vision box with a magic eye.

spooky_b329

OK well the options keep on coming!

When I looked at magic eyes I didn’t come across any information about the Triax and all the threads I read basically said you are stuffed if you have a BT Youview box…magic eye no worky without a Sky box.

Thankyou Ton, think I’ll plump for the Triax option as then I can use all the on demand stuff via the existing box, and also watch recorded content which is ideal.

Glad I started this thread now 🙂

(Edit – I don’t have BT Vision, I have BT Youview (oops) but I think its still compatible with the Triax)

ton

give me a bell in the morning 01132633500
    i will sort you one at trade if you decide to go with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Clever TV stuff – Nexus Player, Chromecast, Roku Stick?’ is closed to new replies.