Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • clever people – hope hubs clickyness questions for you
  • jonke
    Free Member

Given how noisy the hope hub is on my bike, exactly how much energy does it take to make all that racket and therefore is lost compared to a hub that doesn’t sound like its full of nails?

jonba
    Free Member

effectively zero?

I’d think other things were far more important.

Bearings being one of them the lubrication used and the ambient temperature.

onehundredthidiot

None in fact they probably save energy.

Fewer pick ups for the rawls to have to climb on each revolution therefore less friction per revolution as they climb fewer therefore less energy used climbing them.

Of course this assumes that the pickups are all the same height from hub to hub and there are indeed fewer in a Hope.

I would say though you wouldn’t notice.

captaindanger

assuming it’s similar to someone talking (it’s at least the same league) the sound power would be 10^-5 watts. under a millionth of the power you’re producing

STATO
    Free Member

Of course this assumes that the pickups are all the same height from hub to hub and there are indeed fewer in a Hope.

Apart form hope are known to have lots of pickups and numerous pawls.

scaredypants

My bike with a (near silent) shimano hub freewheels faster than my mate’s with a hope hub

Any suggestion that I’m a lot fatter than him would be unfair

(energy loss is in the lifting of the pawls, not the dropping. I suppose you might imagine that loud clicks implies stiff springs but I’m not sure it’s true)

Superficial
    Free Member

Hopes have 3 pawls in an 18t (I think) ratchet. Chris King hubs have 72 teeth that engage on 72 parts of the ratchet. Plus they’re well loud – think of the power loss!

Anyone wishing to swap their King hubs for my LX Silent Clutch hubs, email me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as you are not pedalling why would you care about loss of energy..it would be next to none I would assume

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘clever people – hope hubs clickyness questions for you’ is closed to new replies.