Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cleats or just buy pedals with cleats?
  • singletracksurfer

Any reasonably priced spd cleats around, or is it still just best to buy some good old cheap shimano pedals and get the cleats that way?

Squirrel

Whenever I need cleats (like now) I end up buying pedals as they’re only a few quid more. So I now have plenty of pedals collecting dust in their boxes……..

Yak

Cleats are about £8-£10. Seems madness to buy pedals just because you need cleats.

momo

Cleats are c£10 in halfords (price match to their own website in store) didn’t have any on the shelf when I went in a few weeks ago, but the guy went out back and grabbed a set from a spares box and only charged me a fiver. Definitely not worth buying pedals (unless of course your pedals are knackered too!)

twisty

A spare pair of pedals isn’t a bad thing, but IIRC the pedals come with the multi-release cleats only and not the single release ones.

EDIT: I stand corrected, they all come with single release cleats.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the pedals, Shimano cleats are about £9

M520 from Decathlon are £17, so I’d not buy pedals just for the cleats but it does make you wonder how they manage it for so little money., there isn’t that much more thought/engineering going into the £100+ versions!

but IIRC the pedals come with the multi-release cleats only and not the single release ones.

Mine never have.

The multi release ones are silver so easy to spot.

(from decathlon website, £17 M520’s)

All that said, the tension screws have gone missing for one of my pairs (they’re very old and still work, they’re just a bit vague uncleating without it, feels more like an undersprung CB eggbeater), and another pair is those horrible ‘trail’ versions with the useless cage, so that’s two bikes that’ll get new pedals at some point when cleats wear out.

robware
    Free Member

Decathlon actually do a “SPD compatible” set for £7.

MrAgreeable

Careful with the SPD compatible cleats. I bought a VP set and they’re ‘orrible – very hard to get in and out of proper SPDs.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve got SH-51 cleats in my desk drawer gathering dust if anyone needs a set. They have bolts and the washer bits. £5 posted.

ads678

Wiggle do their own Lifeline ones for £3.99, might be crap but for that price might be worth a go!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-mtb-pedal-cleats-shimano-spd-compatible/

steve_b77
    Free Member

^ Now that’s a bargain, even if they only last a year

singletracksurfer

That is a bargain. Multi release only though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cleats or just buy pedals with cleats?’ is closed to new replies.