Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cleats on a plane
  • bob_summers

I’ve travelled once with shoes/pedals/cleats in hand luggage (Speedplay) and at Biarritz Airport they pulled me up and weren’t going to let me on with them. In the end I could carry them on, but reluctant to try again going to the UK next month. Anyone know if it’s likely to be a problem?

scruff9252

I’ve worn SPD cycling shoes onto a plane once, no issues. They did set off the metal detector but no biggie

wwaswas

Cleats on a plane

for those spd runways…

bruneep

Cleats on a plane

for those spd runways…

It’s cost saving, plane unclips from wheels on take off leaving them for next plane to use when it lands.

Don’t need wheels when in air, saves on fuel and the amount of tyres required for an airline

bob_summers

Speedplays are quite a chunky bit of metal, and I’d imagine look pretty weird on the X Ray.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d just stick them in my carry on bag and wear flip flops. Got to save the hassle of being stopped etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Regardless of what anyone says here if the security person doesn’t like them your stuffed. No hold luggage?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worst.
    Sequel.
    EVER.

maccruiskeen

at Biarritz Airport they

Were they SPDrilles?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

dovebiker

Technically classed as ‘sports equipment’ i.e. excluded items for carry-on so good luck. Once tried it on with a pair of inline speed skates complete with 400mm long metal frame for the wheels – no joy!

oliverracing

Flew with shoes with cleats on last year without a problem (MTB Cleats flying out to do some touring) but know of someone who had to remove the cleats to get through security, but then was able to re-fit them in the boarding area 2 mins later…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Spoke to the supervisor at Edinburgh last trip I did.
    He said it was no problem, but advised to put pedals in a separate clear bag in the tray so they could be more easily identified.
    May require a supervisor to clear them if a more inexperienced person is on the scanner and doesn’t recognise them.

Last time I checked BC were advising to travel with these items in hand luggage, so will be quite common.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

OP, are you trying to one-up Froome’s run up a hill in cleats? 😆

neilforrow

Neville Flynn: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    [the terrified passengers on the plane turn to Neville]
    Neville Flynn: I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER******* SNAKES CLEATS ON THIS MOTHER******* PLANE!

Probably the worst film ever made.

bob_summers

Chapeau, full on snorts of laughter over SPDrilles!

flatfish
    Free Member

Flew to Pisa last month and checked beforehand and was told to stick them in my bike bag.
    Another lad flew the same flight with shoes in hand luggage and was fine, he also had 4x air cartridges in hand luggage.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I also flew to Pisa last month (it was the place to be ey Flatfish) . . . However I flew from a different airport and was fine with the pedals (time) in my hand luggage – but I’d forgotten to put the allen keys I needed to build my bike back up in my hand luggage.

Luckily the lady in security posted them back home to me (due to sentimental reasons – or I’d have happily let them go at security)

flatfish
    Free Member

adjustablewench – Member
    I also flew to Pisa last month (it was the place to be ey Flatfish) . . . However I flew from a different airport and was fine with the pedals (time) in my hand luggage – but I’d forgotten to put the allen keys I needed to build my bike back up in my hand luggage.
    Luckily the lady in security posted them back home to me (due to sentimental reasons – or I’d have happily let them go at security)

Did you take your bike too?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I tried! And it did get there in the end . . . All things considered I think I handled it well, no real tears or shouting and it arrived eventually:)

At least I didn’t have the hotdog and chip Pizza to deal with – that would have sent me over the edge! 😉

MSP

No wonder the bloody plane can’t get off the conveyor belt!

goss
    Free Member

I once had to let go of my metal tyrelevers in the security. (simply forgot to empty my everyday messenger bag when packing at home).
    I wouldn’t take the chance with clipless shoes though, the chance of having to walk barefoot because the staff has a bad day.

geoffj

I did EDI-PMI return last October with road shoes and cleats in hand luggage – no drama. They weren’t attached though on the basis that I could ditch them and keep the shoes if required. The cleats were the mainly plastic Shimano SPDL variety though.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I flew Manchester to gran canaria and back last week hand luggage only. My cycling shoes (look keo cleats) were fine but they took my Allen keys off me. I actually also had a spare set of cleats as well as the ones attached to the shoes and they didn’t have an issue with those either.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cleats on a plane’ is closed to new replies.