Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • clearing snow – nobs
  • wwaswas

back pack blower?

You need one of these;

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAes7fFpgeY[/video]

de-ices the points at the same time.

Harry_the_Spider

This morning (at 6 bloody 30 I hasten to add) I cleared my drive and the old gimmers’ across the road too. Then it rained and the snow melted, so they won’t see how awesome I was. Next time they can nob off.

Meh.

Lummox

wheel barrow mounted pulse jet?

[video]http://youtu.be/HpbKGvjqsxM[/video]

BadlyWiredDog

I was staying with a mate in Munich this time last year and was woken by the sound of someone shovelling snow outside the house. Turns out that householders have a legal responsibility to clear the stretch of pavement outside their property.

The result is that the pavements, in residential areas at least, are uniformly clear. Of course the trade-off is that you have to live in Germany on a diet consisting mostly of beer and sausages, but at least the pavements are passable and they don’t have threads like this.

porter_jamie

molgrips – Member
    I spend ages clearing the whole street, which is a steep ish cul-de-sac about 80m long with maybe30 houses. The only person who came out to help was the neighbour from 2 doors up who’s from Zimbabwe, so hardly experienced at dealing with snow.

However, everyone was happy to drive up and down it after we cleared it, without so much as a thanks.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #
    i had that – myself and another lad spent ages digging out road – we live on a cul de sac with a steepish hill to get out onto the main road. my van and the car won’t get up it when it has been snowing properly. i could see them at the kitchen window with cups of tea watching, and as soon as we were done a couple of them came out and drove off up the hill.

Next year my missus and i happened to have winter tyres. No digging required.

richmtb

Neighbours, then tell me i will be laible if someone falls on the paths ive cleared
    Does seem to be a bit or an urban legend….

Aye and most people know deep down its bullshit too but it reinforces a belief in “elfin safety gone mad” and give an excuse to be a lazy bastard. So it hangs around

jekkyl

It isn’t a twitchell, snicket, twitten, ginnel or jitty… you lot are all weird 😉 It’s a cut as in cut through.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Of course the trade-off is that you have to live in Germany on a diet consisting mostly of beer and sausages

You say that like it’s a bad thing! No snow on paths/road and beer/sausages, i’m in!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I live in scumsville. Every single person in the cul-de-sac comes out to clear the road when it snows. There is always beer involved.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Cxxxxxxx Drive for the win?

And its a Gennel round here, never been a snickers or whatever. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

That’s nothing. A huge sycamore (maybe 6ft dia) came down and blocked the single track road to my folks house last winter. Neighbour, dad, brother in law and myself went down with chainsaws and tractor to clear the road…..

To be fair they may have thought you were contractors and not know you were their friend’s neighbours doing off of your own back and hence not want to get involved, insurance e.t.c.

stever
    Free Member

My neighbour does a bit of freelance plowing for the local authority with his tractor. It’s quite refreshing these days that they just let him get on with it and bill them later. Does mean our road stays quite clear too 🙂

singletrackmind

Guy opposie me spent 2hours cleaning his drive and car parking area so it was compleetely snow free. And by snow free , i mean spotless like he had rolled back a carpet and taken every flake with it .

Dozy so and so didnt bother with the pavement ( which was the first thing I did swept and gritted about 100m up and down road as there are hundreds of coffin dodgers round here )

An hour or so later his misses is walking back home from the bus stop and gets to within 10m of sanctuary when ‘wallop’ over on her backside. Traffic stops to help her up etc , I was washing up and saw everything from the kitchen window.

Skiing holiday once they stuck a note on our car saying move it or we will as we want to plough the car park. French guy next to us is out there first moving the considerable amount of snow from his car onto ours. Not so fast frenchy .tried to explain in pidgeon french that it would be quicker if the 3 of us and him cleared a single central channel we could both steer out of. He decides to not understand . Que the British snow shovelling team moving all of the snow he had shovelled infront of our car back in front of his ,plus all the snow from our car. Entant cordial was non existant as we drove out first leaving him with about 1 ton of snow to move again . tosser .

jimjam
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member

jimjam – Member

That’s nothing. A huge sycamore (maybe 6ft dia) came down and blocked the single track road to my folks house last winter. Neighbour, dad, brother in law and myself went down with chainsaws and tractor to clear the road…..

To be fair they may have thought you were contractors and not know you were their friend’s neighbours doing off of your own back and hence not want to get involved, insurance e.t.c.[/quote]

Er, I highly doubt it. The tree fell blocking us all into the cul-de-sac where we live. Only two ways in, through a forest or by river. Anyway, they knew exactly who we were. Two men in their 60s two more in their 30s and a 4×4 Ford tractor with a link box. Trust me, we didn’t look like contractors.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I stayed in Orkney the end of our road where it met the main singletrack was prone to drifting. I’d clear it by hand only for the County snow plough to refill the space with quick setting concrete style snow.

I wish it snowed enough here to justify one of these Unimog snow blowers. It has an air cooled motor on the back to power the augers and blower.

benji
    Free Member

McMoonter that’s awesome, a thread isn’t a thread without a MOG in it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can’t see the point in clearing snow to be honest, never have done. It melts quick enough by itself.

And where people do clear it, the melting snow then freezes at night leaving ice. IMO pavements etc have much more grip when left alone.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vx369nR9HQ[/video]

kcal

FD – not sure about that approach fella. In the big winter of 3 or so years ago, the snow got all compacted down, pavements and roads both, and it was left pretty much as is; result was it turned into an inch or more of near ice that was really hard to shift on road or pavement. Agreed that partial clearance can lead to really icy patches so needs to be cleared entirely for best effect.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Oh im so glad im not the only who get the hump over lazy arses , I have lived on the side or Mordor for the past 5 years and when it comes to snow we struggle to get off the street , for the past 5 years myself and the couple next door always do the sleeping policemen out side the houses because the are a bugger to get over ,and not once has anyone else bothered, well this year I haven’t touched a bit of it neither has Dave next door.

Reason Subaru all wheel drive and his Defender don’t seem to have a problem , shame the selfish sods all drive BMs and Mercs its was fun watching them slide

Pook

FD – that’s why I went to get a sledge full of grit to bring up. And it doesn’t clear quick enough. We’ve been stranded up here for two days with a stir crazy 2 year old and a boss who doesn’t get working from home.

Northwind

FunkyDunc – Member

And where people do clear it, the melting snow then freezes at night leaving ice. IMO pavements etc have much more grip when left alone

Depends tbh. If you clear it well and salt or grit it, it should be fine. But I know what you mean, I did a winter on crutches and I’d rather have uncleared snow than the well-meaning death ice people insisted on building in front of their houses. Probably better for prams, wheelchairs and the like.

When we get proper snow, the ploughs end up pretty much burying the pavement so it’s tricky, it’s a lot of work just to dig cars out and knock out a reasonably passable path and if it snows again, it gets ploughed again anyway. I like shovelling snow so I don’t get too uptight about other folks not doing it but what drives me nuts is the fannies that clear their driveway and throw the snow/ice onto the pavement, or into the road, I mean wtf?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you shovel well the left over dusting melts quickly (around here) and leaves clear tarmac. The compacted snow however turns to a thick layer of solid ice that lasts ages and is very slippery.

Cougar

It’s a cut as in cut through.

You’d get a shock if you took a detour through the cut anywhere in Lancashire – it’s a canal.

matt_outandabout

Living next to another stw_er, our street is deep in ice and snow still… 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘clearing snow – nobs’ is closed to new replies.