Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Clearing rain from glasses
  • deejayen
    Free Member

Are there any products which would help to keep glasses free of rain? I’m thinking about trying RainX, but I remember it not working well below 30mph when I used it on my car’s windscreen. Also, my lenses are probably ‘plastic’ – not sure if it would damage them.

I wear a peaked cap, which normally works to keep the worst rain off my glasses if riding head-down. However, it doesn’t work when riding in an upright or reclined position. Unfortunately, the opticians have advised me against using contact lenses.

I was riding in foggy drizzle this morning, and couldn’t see much! It was most noticeable after the ride when I was fishing around in my saddlebag to try and find my keys. I had to remove my glasses to improve my vision, and normally I can’t see a thing without them!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use Rain-X on motorbike helmet visor without any problem. Riding at low speed not sure if the rain will run off but it should bead together better.

Northwind

Nikwax Visorproof is good, it seems expensive when you buy a bottle but I’m still using one I bought in about 2001. Helps with steaming up too.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Rain x here too !,or just peddle faster and turn ure head…lol 😉

TPTcruiser

Pilkington do a hydrophilic coating on some of their glasses, the water sheets off, other companies have tried out hydrophobic coatings. I remember seeing a coating done by Tadanaga where the water drop jumped off the glass like it was a ball bearing, complete repulsion of water.
    Tech is out there but not for my light and cheap plastic lenses, my specs will keep steaming up in pubs.

faustus

I put a bit of bike spray on mine, and it helped to get rid of droplets pretty quickly After a while you just have to give in and wipe with the back of your glove…(avoiding snot patches)

t_i_m
    Free Member

in light rain & mist, actually giving your lenses a good soaking from your water bottle works pretty well. Stops misting and gives a coating of water for small droplets to merge into.

back2basics
    Free Member

i thought rain-x couldnt be used on certain plastics anymore due to change of formula…?

cookeaa

I got some Rain-X after starting a similar thread a little while back, seems quite effective on my glasses, you Just need to remember to re-apply it every so often….

nach
    Free Member

I’ve used Oakley Nanoclear on polycarbonate and glass lenses. It’s not perfect or amazing, but definitely an improvement.

boblo
    Free Member

Contacts FTW….

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try some and see what works. I looked up the Nikwax one on Amazon, and it received some 1-star scores. However, it’s probably worth a go. Motorbike forums mention ‘Plexus’ (haven’t seen that in the UK) and furniture polish! It seems that Rain-X can cause plastics to go brittle over time.

danrandon
    Free Member

Also look at anti-fog and lens cleaner for paintball goggles, cheep, cheerful and does the job nicely 😉

kerbdog
    Free Member

I’ve had rain x work on one pair of glasses and then completely ruin a pair of googles from the same brand as I assumed the lens would be the same material. I use pledge furniture polish on my hockey helmets visor and it’s certainly stops misting, not sure how well it’d work in a downpour though.

deejayen
    Free Member

I tried the clean and spray-on wax this morning (as recommended by motorcyclists). It didn’t seem to help in the haar and fine drizzle. Again, I couldn’t see much.

Turning my head to the side didn’t clear the water either – obviously not pedaling furiously enough, although I began to get a bit disorientated when I rode faster!

I stopped and squirted my glasses with water from my water bottle, which helped, but I only got a few hundred yards down the road before things were as bad as ever.

I nearly ran into three sheep. Thankfully they could see better than me, and ran across the road while I was trying to determine what the funny shape at the verge was!

I tried wiping my glasses with my glove which helped, but it’s easy to miss, and it’s not always possible to ride with one hand off the bars. I think I used to have a rubber squeegee on my motorbike gloves, but I don’t think it’s a great solution for cycling.

I’ll try some of the other products mentioned, but I suspect I have to try and stop water getting to my glasses, although I’m not sure how. A pair of windscreen wipers would be good, and I seem to remember having seen such a system…!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Clearing rain from glasses’ is closed to new replies.