Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Clearing out my bike tool box, what are these?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve been clearing out my bike tool box and at the bottom there’s some mysteries. So hive mind, remind me what these things are:

Thanks in advance!

rossburton
    Free Member

Just realised the three lighter red plastic things look a lot like Shimano bleed blocks but are far too narrow. Spacers from packaging?

scotroutes

The bottom are disk pad spacers for various models. Often used when in transit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Top are bleed kit parts, probably sram/reverb/avid.
    Lower ones are for spacing pads in transit

rossburton
    Free Member

So a pre-2012 XT brake block or pad fits neatly into the indent on the left most plastic whatsit. I suspect post-2012 will fit in the top/bottom ones. That’s interesting but I’ve still no idea what they’re for!

spxxky
    Free Member

Top pic shows Reverb bleed connectors

rossburton
    Free Member

So I turned my eyes on and noticed that the dark red thingy has Avid PS-H05 written on. Avid pad spacer. Clearly it’s been a *long* time since I changed the pads on the wife’s bike.

rossburton
    Free Member

Aha, Reverb bits. Thanks!

julianwilson
    Free Member

top bits fit avid and formula brakes too. and rockshox x-loc hydraulic lockout which is a bit like a reverb button iirc. NB brakes and reverb/x-loc use rather different fluids iirc so best not to use same for both different systems unless you are sure they are properly cleaned out and dried.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Assuming you have the syringes they are worth keeping as EPic do different fittings for other brakes – eg SHimano Tektro etc

andyl
    Free Member

the bottom bits fit in your brakes when transporting to stop accidental lever presses from squeezing your pads in which will then self adjust and you won’t be able to refit your wheels without a faff of opening out the pads again. I always keep a set in my camelbak in case the bike ever needs to be transported with the wheels off

Top bit as above is a sram bleed kit for Reverb etc. Orange fittings are luer lock syringe fittings instead of push fit type that pop off when you apply any serious pressure.

rossburton
    Free Member

Andyl: oh, I see, yeah that’s useful. I might dig around the bin for the ones I threw away!

cloudnine
    Free Member

The top ones are for injecting crack.. No wonder you have amnesia..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Marzocchi adaptors

wordnumb
    Free Member

Space Invaders (bottom pic) and the guns you shoot ’em with (top).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Clearing out my bike tool box, what are these?’ is closed to new replies.