Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • clearance for chain device when using a deore lx octalink chainset and bb
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

hi there,

i am converting my cannondale to a 1×9 speed.

i have a set of deore lx octalink cranks (M572). these are obviously designed for triple rings and have the tabs for an inner rim.

i am planning to use this crankset with a e*thirteen 35t chainring.

the bottom bracket in the cannondale is an internal shimano BB-ES51 in 68 / 113 measurement.

i have also bought a superstar xcr single chain guide to keep things in place at the front.

here’s the problem.

when i put the chain device on between the frame and the bb outer ring, the inner tabs of the crankset clear it by about 1mm, but the chain guide is well inboard of where the chain line from the middle ring will end up.

the most immediate solution i can see would be to fit a wider bottom-bracket spindle which would place the chain device inline with the chainset and also give more clearance against the inner tabs. this would make the cranks wider set, and i’m not sure whether this is a good thing or not as it would affect the chain line.

the other solution is that i bite the bullet and fit singlespeed cranks which would bring everything in line.

thoughts?

campfreddie
    Free Member

bump

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘clearance for chain device when using a deore lx octalink chainset and bb’ is closed to new replies.