Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Clear lens glasses
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I refuse to pay Oakley prices for some clear lenses for my half jackets, so what are a good set of clear lenses glasses???

coogan
    Free Member

I was exactly the same. I bought these a few weeks back. Been great so far for £16.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-predator/rp-prod77670

binners

Get a set of Bolle Contours from ebay

work as well as anything else. When they get scratched, bin ’em and get another pair

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve seen those Bolle contours on ebay. Is the esp lense suitable for night riding??

sandwicheater

Aldi had some cycle glasses in recently (clear, yellow etc) for £3 and I think they are ace.

binners

I find the esp lens fine for night riding yes. I’ve been using them for years. You really don’t need o pay more for clear glasses

dawson

£3 clear safety glasses from B&Q for me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers binners 🙂 I’ll get them ones then.

legend
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member
    I refuse to pay Oakley prices for some clear lenses for my half jackets, so what are a good set of clear lenses glasses???

Oakley are around £40 aren’t they? Not exactly wild, and make sure that any safety glasses have UV protection (if you care about such things) as the information can be a bit ropey

thepurist

Revant Optics on eBay sell replacement lenses for Oakley,shipped from USA but I didn’t get charged any duty.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I just bought some replica lenses to fit my Racing Jackets from sublimeoptics on eBay, worked out about £20 including shipping. Very good quality.

Mascy
    Free Member

+1 for Revant here too – great lenses, better than Oakley price

UV protection – aren’t all polycarb lenses inherently UV protective?

monkeyboyjc

Another +1 for Revant….

sparrowcar
    Free Member

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/831342/3M-2720-SAFETY-GLASSES-2720-Polycarbonate-EN-166

Mrs Sparrowcar brought loads of these home for me from a new store opening she was working on. I just throw them out as they get damaged and use a new pair. Fit nice and snug.

jonba
    Free Member

+1 for Revant here too – great lenses, better than Oakley price

UV protection – aren’t all polycarb lenses inherently UV protective?

Yes

Bolle definitely are. Looked into it for professional reasons a few years back.

I prefer the bolle style to the 3m style. I find they are not as close a fit so do not steam up as easily.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

to be honest, the extra money spent gives better materials and optics. I guess you are looking for something that is neutral and doesn’t alter focal points.
    When i was working in the lab we always got the better quality lab glasses. admittedly they were only £15 as opposed to a fiver. 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

Cheap clear Polaris’…about £13 but got mine off ebay for £8 new

vincienup
    Free Member

… Does uv protection actually matter in a clear lens?

Personally I only wear clear in low light like for commuting this time of year…

legend
    Free Member

vincienup – Member
    … Does uv protection actually matter in a clear lens?

It does when the only reason you wear glasses is because of one of these ****:

Northwind

It’s harder to make a shatterproof lens that isn’t UV resistant than one that is, most of the good materials are inherently uv opaque. It’s all just marketing bollocks, for cycling glasses, doubly so since we don’t even have that much UV exposure in the first place. If you think you need UV protection to ride a bike, you should wear it whenever you’re outside.

Bolle BL10s here, no distortion that I’ve ever noticed, rather easy to scratch the lens but they cost nowt.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I pays my money for sunglasses as cheap ones give me a headache (Oakley all the way for me) for clear lenses (my Oakley yellow lenses are crap for my new dark urban commute) I don’t see the Oakley premium.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Clear lens glasses’ is closed to new replies.