Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cleaning up "new to me" carbon cranks
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

Just got some used X0 DH carbon cranks, the original heli tape is just worn through in a spot so I’ve pulled it off to replace, is it OK to use surgical spirit to clean up the adhesive residue?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Yes, will be fine. Nothing you have in the household will attack it, used as a cleaner.

Probably find isopropanol wont be that effective on the adhesive though, use lighter fluid or something. Might remove the printed graphics though.

Sam

You’ll need something more potent than alcohol to clean the sticky stuff off. Acetone will do the trick. If the surface looks a little dulled afterwards hit it with some t-cut then wax polish and will bring em up like new. Moderately deep scratches can be taken out with some fine wet & dry (800 or so) then polished.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Have been known to use the black color magic back to black car polish on carbon.
    Fills the small cracks with black pigment rather than white that you get with T-Cut and white car polish.
    Wont leave little white dull patches.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219210_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

mattjevans
    Free Member

thanks. I figure a bit of cleaning and polishing, new heli tape and some crank boots and they’ll look pretty good again.

neninja
    Free Member

Buy a bottle of sticky stuff remover – amazing at removing glue residue, tar spots, etc

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover?src=gfeed&gclid=CJ6eq8fbobUCFYLHtAodanMA3A

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

GT85 is good for removing sticky stuff

njee20
    Free Member

Not really IMO, white spirit or nail varnish remover are vastly more effective if you want something you’re likely to have around.

globalti
    Free Member

If they are scratched, rub them down lightly with some fine wet & dry then give them a coat of clear lacquer from a rattle can. I have restored scratched black plastic road brake hoods in this way, they looked like new plastic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning up "new to me" carbon cranks’ is closed to new replies.