Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cleaning rotors.
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Contaminated rotors – Am I right in thinking that wiping them with a meths covered J cloth will do the job?

takisawa2

Meths can leave a residue. (Apparently).
    Isoprpoyly Alcohol is better.
    I’d pop the pads out & give them a few swirls on some emery cloth also.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

try Wynns brake and clutch cleaner out of Halfords.

its £6 or around that.

daleftw
    Free Member

Pads are written off, shall be installing new ones. Imma give it a go with meths, see what happens.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just a can of normal clutch and brake cleaner. Designed for the job.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Are you sure the pads are written off?

Pour boiling water on the pads in a dish and most of the oil will heat and float off. Then once dry emery board or similar. Worked for me!

daleftw
    Free Member

Might give that a try actually, see what happens. Cheers.

I’m trying to ‘ghetto’ clean this btw, incase it ever happens on tour.

crikey
    Free Member

Hot water and washing up liquid will get them as clean as the fancy solvents, but is no good for pads.

The contamination is a thin oily film, just like greasy plates or pans, W-up liquid will get it off and rinse away easily and cheaply.

robowns
    Free Member

I recently bled my brakes with the pads in, which led to two sets of soaking oily pads. I set them on fire over the hob and then sanded them. Have been using them since without incident.

daleftw
    Free Member

Oooh, interesting.

A quick sprint along the street and slam the brakes on test and the brake seems to be working OK.

Meths and boiling water. Hmm…

jameso

Pour boiling water on the pads in a dish and most of the oil will heat and float off. Then once dry emery board or similar. Worked for me!

Works for me, I pop them in a pan and simmer for a while, sand off and they’re 9/10 times working as before. For rotors, just meths and a clean cloth, then lots of hot water to rinse.

project
    Free Member

Place pads face downwards on electric hob, leave for a minurte at most, lift off with pliers, theyre very hot and allow to cool on plate, not on worktop.

Some people forget these 2 points.

oh and there is a bit of smoke as the oil burns off and a bad smell.

dannyh
    Free Member

Scrub with meths and an old toothbrush always seems to do the job. Remember to rinse with a bit of water as well, no point in dissolving (as in solvent) the oil that is contaminating, then just leaving some of it there.

Repeat a couple of times. I always find you have to re-do the burning in process in part afterwards, to key the rotors back into the pads.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Lasers, nothing else will do.

trout
    Free Member

muddy ride will sort it

Goldigger
    Free Member

Muc off brake cleaner has always worked for me..
    I’ve had shimano oil over a brand new RT86 rotor..covered it in muc off brake cleaner and let it soak for a bit, then wiped it all off..
    No probs at all..

tmb467
    Free Member

Hot water / fairy liquid on the rotor

Hot water on the pads then burn off the remainder on the hob. May take two goes but did it on an old set of hayes 9 once when I didn’t have time to go get new pads. Worked really well and has been fine since

eatsleepbike
    Free Member

Ebay. Medical grade isopropyl alcohol wipes. 100s of them for around £2. Work a dream. Really small, weigh nothing and are individually packed so you can easily take a couple with you.

Worth noting that after a clean the brakes will take a mslla amount of time to get back to full power. I think the “science” behind this is that they are more effective when some pad material is deposited on the rotors

nick1962
    Free Member

Medical grade isopropyl alcohol wipes.

Good for cleaning wounds too!

white91
    Free Member

Automotive brake cleaner is the best and cheaper than cycling specific

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A place local to me does a litre isoprop for £2.50 so that’s what I use.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Meths can have crap in it sometimes so I prefer IPA. I have mixed results fixing pads by baking them….

psling
    Free Member

IPA = India Pale Ale, no? Sounds good to me… Hic! 8)

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Fire and pliers, nothing else will do.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning rotors.’ is closed to new replies.