• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by myti.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cleaning Patio – Glyphosate?
  • djambo
    Free Member

Our patio needs a good clean (again). Last year i did it with bleach which worked to some extent but not fully. Has anyone used glyphosate successful to clean patios?

I was thinking of simply spraying it on and leaving it. Any ideas if this will be effective against the lychin etc that have set up home on the patio?

jkomo

Bleach and a bit more effort.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve cleaned a couple of drives and a large patio with Tesco washing soda crystals then a 6 monthly soak with Jeyes fluid .

monkeychild
    Free Member

Karcher pressure washer? I bought one with the patio cleaner thing and it works a treat.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Elbow grease.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes glyphosate should work, bleach too.

myti
    Free Member

No not glyphosate! That is a weed killer and should only be sprayed on weeds and not all over a patio it will not clean dirt away and will just be washed into the drains if you pressure wash it. This kind of inappropriate use is why this product is appearing in too high quantities in water courses and could lead to it being banned.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not a cleaner, but will kill plants inc algae and lichen.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah, not glyphosate

use eyes fluid and / or pressure washer

we use it to clean algae / moss off our benches at work

kayak23

cozz – Member
    yeah, not glyphosate
    use eyes fluid

He’s going to have to think of something incredibly sad to muster up enough to wash a patio! 😯

wzzzz
    Free Member

Go to your local farmers supplier and get a barrel of dairy hypochlorite, will last you years.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

footflaps

Just use a pressure washer, cleans everything off our patio with just water – much better for the environment (rather than dumping toxic chemicals on it).

patentlywill
    Free Member

This worked for me – spray it on and leave – cleans over of few days.

http://www.wetandforget.co.uk/

tetchypete
    Free Member

Don’t use Gluphosate, it’s not a patio cleaner. Go to your local garden centre and buy some ‘Algon’. Spay it on (or use a watering can if you must and just leave it. No scrubbing needed. It’ll get rid of the algae and stop it coming back for the rest of the year.

Davesport

That Wet & Forget stuff is brilliant. I sprayed it all over the Pan Tiles on my roof. Within 24 hours all the green growth and moss had turned grey. 3 months later the roof is spotless. Next step is the front drive and the patio. Aldi sell similar stuff in 2 litre bottles for about quarter of the price. The MSDS shows roughly the same active ingredients and it’s about a quarter of the price.

D.

spooky_b329

If its a natural stone patio rather than concrete, don’t try anything until you have tested it somewhere inconspicuous! It can stain or change the colour…permanently.

tish
    Free Member

Algon works a treat on my stone patio. Just spray on and leave and it’s safe for animals if you have any.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Glyphosate isn’t “toxic chemicals” though. And he’s using bleach just now…so anything different will be a reduction in evil toxic poisoning won’t it?

Anyway, glyphosate WON’T kill off the algae/lichen so forget that idea. I use around 1000 litres of dilute a season.

Use a proper product such as MMC Pro.

myti
    Free Member

Can a domestic access mmc pro? I use Qualgex on moss and stuff but thought you needed to be licensed to purchase stuff like that?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning Patio – Glyphosate?’ is closed to new replies.