Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cleaning oven door window
  • chvck
    Free Member

A very exciting thread for a Saturday lunch time this. I’m soon to be moving house and have let the oven get in a bit of a mess (not too bad as I’ve had tin foil in the bottom…). Anyway, cleaning in the oven itself I’ve got covered but I was wondering if anyone could recommend me something for cleaning the glass window? It’s got a pretty decent layer of grime that I can’t shift…

twicewithchips
    Free Member

one of these paint scrapers that uses a stanley blade

jekkyl

A steam cleaner, failing that boiling water, some gloves, a cleaning product, some wire wool and a shit load of patience and elbow grease.

Danny79
    Free Member

Last year I paid to get mine cleaned watched them do it, you should be able to take door off then unscrew it. Most of the grime you can’t shift may well be between the 2 panes of glass.

stumpy01

Just don’t try to take the door off to clean it without knowing exactly what is screwed to what. My Wife did this, the door came away where she wasn’t expecting it to and fell on the floor tiles. Ended up in quite a few pieces (several thoudand, at a guess)….!

smartboy
    Free Member

Oven Pride. It works.
    Done.

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, the grime is definitely on the outside of the pane but I guess that I may find more inside once I sort the outside. I think that I’ll try the scraper followed by some elbow grease to remove whatever is left.

chvck
    Free Member

That’s what I’m using inside the oven but I think that it says not to use on glass?

banks
    Free Member

Lemons & elbow grease

iolo
    Free Member

One part vinegar, 2 parts water,juice of an orange. Spray over everything including glass. Leave as long as you can. Newspaper to wipe. Repeat until you have a new looking oven.

Flaperon

I paid £115 for Ovenu to turn up and spend 5 hours on it (not my oven, just never cleaned by the previous owner).

Looks brand new now and worth every penny.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Ovens have windows? 😯

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The instructions on mine say unscrew the catches that hold the window, take it out and clean it in the sink with a brillo pad and hot water. It works for me about every leap year.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ovens have windows?

So the children can look out…

trevh
    Free Member

Steam.cleaner I did ours in about an hour works a treat.
    Just when u use it if the water runs between the glass you will have to remove it anyways. But by far easiest and cheapest way to degrease

gnusmas

Oven pride, slap it on, rub it in, leave it a bit then rub it off.

Although reading as i write it could be instructions for something completely different 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I experimented how best to clean the congealed fat off our glass cooker hood shelf. The particles of oil polymerise over time into a sort of gel. I found an acid breaks the gel up enough to clean with normal cleaners. I had some citric acid, worked. May work on oven gunge.

rone

Thought we did this last month.

Anyway, the glass scrapers for ceramic hobs will take off 80% of the muck then finish off with the ceramic hob cleaner in orange bottle.

So same stuff and routine for the hob too.

NZCol

Citrus Bike degreaser is quite effective i found out.

rendo
    Free Member

All you need is some off those microfibre sponges. Work a treat and no need for xtra strong chemicals

globalti
    Free Member

If you also have a wood-burner or multi-fuel stove, the glass cleaner for that works very well on dried fat, which it turns to soap.

wallop

Some jif and a cloth should do it!

BoardinBob

Surely it’s your wife’s problem as it must have been her that made the mess?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning oven door window’ is closed to new replies.