Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cleaning muddy walking boots?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Best way?

Went walking in the peaks on boxing day, absolutely caked in mud. I figured I’d just leave them to dry and then brush off the mud. But they’re still not dry. Is it ok to just wash off the worst of the mud with water?

Thanks 🙂

This type btw,

tony07
    Free Member

Ye just use a hose and a brush

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I take them with me into the shower and scrub it all off with the nail brush. Depending on your circumstances, spousal disapproval may follow.

torihada
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    I take them with me into the shower and scrub it all off with the nail brush. Depending on your circumstances, spousal disapproval may follow.

Followed by a call to dyna-rod.

What ever you do, don’t stick em on a direct heat source to dry. Mates winter cycle boots delaminated after cooking on the radiator.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Another ‘I have no life skills, so need to ask STW’ question.

Jeez.

Get a bowl of water and a brush and clean them.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Life Skills? Whatever.

They were hand-me-downs, first ever pair of walking boots. Wasn’t sure if they had a protective layer or something that could be damaged by cleaning/drying. Good call on the radiator thing.

Thanks 🙂

cobrakai

That’s right, cause nobody ever learns life skills. We’re all programmed from birth with everything we need to know. 👿

matther01
    Free Member

If they’re nubuck/suede would a nailbrush not damage them? I use a nailbrush/scrubbing brush for the sole and wetwipe for the uppers.

nedrapier

Experience is something you don’t usually get until just after you need it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You don’t need to really scrub at them, water and moderate brushing has always worked for me. I try not to get water inside.

Edric64
    Free Member

If they get damaged by a bit of scrubbing they wont be good in the hill

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I use a washing up brush with some warm water, whilst still damp they get a good spraying of Nikwax Proofer

piemonster

That’s right, cause nobody ever learns life skills. We’re all programmed from birth with everything we need to know.

This was what happened with me, I was like a GOD at primary.

Now I’m just a bit stupid.

CountZero

matther01 – Member
    If they’re nubuck/suede would a nailbrush not damage them? I use a nailbrush/scrubbing brush for the sole and wetwipe for the uppers.

If that happened they’d be straight back to the shop! They’d be little more than fashion boots. Quality boots ought to be able to survive being put in a bowl or the sink with some warm water and scrubbed with a nail brush, it’s pretty much what the manufacturers recommend.

unknown
    Free Member

Another ‘I have no life skills, so need to ask STW’ question.

From the poster that brought us such classic threads as “Road bike virgin, clueless and in need of help…”, “Newbie Turbo Trainer questions”, “Any way to tell tubeless?” and my personal favourite: “Roundabouts”, including this gem:

Approaching a roundabout there’s 2 lanes, you want to go straight on into a single lane road, none of the lanes are marked, which lane do you take?

Life skills? Lacking irony skills I’d say.

allthepies
    Free Member

pw3d 🙂

project
    Free Member

Stuff them with crumpled newspaper, and wrap the outide in newspaper, allow to dry.

all mens boots should be muddy.

oldboy
    Free Member

Just use a brush and cold water without adding any detergent, and allow to dry naturally.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Tsk..Unknown.

Bit silly comparing questions about a form of cycling you’re not familiar with and a question about how to clean a pair of shoes! And a bit silly that you seem to think that knowing about turbo trainers and road bikes is a life skill. Oh dear.

However I’m sure the OP is grateful for your support.

PS. Flattered to be stalked!! 🙂

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

Not particularly helpful considering this prolonged mild spell but the best way to clean boots by a country mile is a walk in the snow.

matt_outandabout

Cleaning fabric boots?

Does not compute…

unknown
    Free Member

@cbmotorsport

Oh I don’t know, I think the 20 seconds I spent looking at your posting history gave me a pretty good illustration that one man’s newbie query is another man’s “life skill”. Roadies know all about turbo trainers but non-walkers have no reason to know about looking after walking boots. Which lane to take at a roundabout is fairly universal though.

The point is, before you point your finger make sure your hands are clean.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

heh, my boots are out as I’m heading outb tomorrow. Looks like cleaning them is a “life skill” I’ve yet to acquire.

I do have one of thse though if you’d like to borrow it cbmotorsport

Edric64
    Free Member

Should you clean hands with a nail brush and warm water ?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

OK you win big guy.

Just to put the record straight, I know which lane to take at a roundabout, I was asking what everyone else does. If you’re bored, actually read the thread! 🙂 Maybe 20 seconds wasn’t enough to judge?? Oh I don’t know.

8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning muddy walking boots?’ is closed to new replies.