Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cleaning Matt black Cars/Bikes
  • Burls72
    Free Member

Does anybody know of the best way to clean and care for matt black paint on cars/bikes? I know not to use normal car wash as they all have wax in them and obviously not to wax or polish them.

I’ve read that lemon pledge is ment to be good but it isn’t available anymore. Any ideas?

Anthony
    Free Member

I always used any furniture spray polish I found under the sink on a matt Ducati. But then I wasn’t ‘that’ fussy about it.

RustyNissanPrairie

beeswax/wood furniture polish, Tesco sell a small glass jar with yellow colour polish-cant remember the name of the stuff its approx £4. Best thing for matt paint-I use it on my ex-army Landrover

Burls72
    Free Member

Cheers, i’ll give that tesco’s stuff a go.

nickf
    Free Member

WD40 on a matt black Nicolai – keeps the mud off for longer.Gives a very subtle shine as well, though that was never the intention.

RustyNissanPrairie

had a nosey whilst in tesco today-its made by lord sheraton and its £2.15 for a small glass pot with yellow coloured polish inside

Burls72
    Free Member

Thanks, is that the stuff? Had a look on Tesco’s website the other day but couldn’t find it.

I’m about to paint my van matt black and i’ve been reading it’s hard to clean so looking for peoples suggestions. Once it’s done i’ll try the different polishs etc on the roof and see what works the best and if it’s not much work that’ll be a bonus!

jools182
    Free Member

How do you wash all the mud and crap off first if you’re not supposed to use normal car wash stuff?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Snow foam will do the trick,Or TFR most of them havent any waxes in them

Hohum
    Free Member

nicolaisam – Member
    Snow foam will do the trick,Or TFR most of them havent any waxes in them

Snow foam does work really well on dirty bikes as well as cars.

Every time I wash the car I will snow foam my bike as well and it brings it up a treat 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks, is that the stuff? Had a look on Tesco’s website the other day but couldn’t find it.

I’m about to paint my van matt black and i’ve been reading it’s hard to clean so looking for peoples suggestions. Once it’s done i’ll try the different polishs etc on the roof and see what works the best and if it’s not much work that’ll be a bonus

seriously-do not paint whatever van you own matt black-you will regret it. I painted my ex-MOD 110 matt Nato green-its impossible to keep clean properly-the Lord Sheraton stuff you posted the pic of is the best stuff I can find but it needs doing every week ideally to keep it looking smart. Any sort of traffic film remover or normal car wash stuff leaves it mockled, blotchy and faded and looking a right mess.

Satin would be better than matt. Nowing what I know now-I would never have painted mine matt hence why its getting repainted again in summer.

Burls72
    Free Member

To late now, started painting it! Think i’ve got the washing sorted, rinse with water, wash with a wash mitt and non-alkaline/ph balanced
    car wash then dry with a drying towel. That should leave it streak free then it’s just what final product to use. I’ve got a few to try and it’s just a case of which works best.

Got a feeling I might end up regretting the colour choice and re-painting like yourself but as I said to late now, just have to keep my fingers crossed 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning Matt black Cars/Bikes’ is closed to new replies.