Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cleaning disc brake rotors
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

Hi,

I have some Morgan Blue Chain Cleaner. Is it safe to use on disc brake rotors and pads?

Thanks.

tmb467
    Free Member

Personally I’d try my best to never clean my rotors and definitely not the pads

You’ll only have to bed them in again and unless you’ve got oil or fluid on em then I’d leave em

dirtydog
    Free Member

What he said^.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coolbeanz
    Free Member

I think I got some oil on them, hence the question. Basically, I want to know whether the product in question is safe to use.

enfht
    Free Member

I bought disk cleaner before realising its a total waste of money/time/effort.

Unless you’ve contaminated them, normal usage keeps the disks clean.

tmb467
    Free Member

Yes – it’s probably safe (in that you won’t die)

However, you’ll need to get any residue off the rotor (tbh – I’ve done it with Fairy Liquid and lots of rinsing and drying)

I’ve also recovered sets of contaminated pads by chucking them on the hob to burn the oil off. Others have used the dishwasher – chuck your drive train in too for a nice clean shiny cassette)

Just means you’ve got fun ahead re-bedding the pads and rotor but you’d have to do it anyway if you’d bought new ones

oli31
    Free Member

light rub with some wet and dry seemed to do the trick for my disks (wouldn’t want to do it too often but ok occasionally i’d guess) and heating pads over the hob has worked in the past too

edward2000
    Free Member

I heated some pads over the hob once, only to crack the pads as they must have gotten very hot.

sofatester
    Free Member

Go for a ride, get them wet and muddy. They’ll soon be working just fine again after a couple of hard stops.

Seems the only time i have problems with my brakes is when i clean them with anything more than a squirt of the hose.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

isoproponol?

Northwind

That morgans stuff looks like it’s just a detergent? So will be fine and might help a bit.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I forgot to add some people have had luck by putting discs in the dishwasher, but I’ve not tried it myself as I don’t have one.

I’m guessing any sort of determent should work, maybe even washing up liquid?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i’ve just used meths before.Don’t think it leaves a residue like white spirit does.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning disc brake rotors’ is closed to new replies.