Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cleaning chrome with coke.. Skeptical
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

Now then I am not going to argue that coke does not have phosphoric acid in it, nor that it does not clean a coin if left in it overnight. But this video on Facebook shows a bloke cleaing his rusty chrome bumper with coke and a less than obvious scratchy plastic pad.
    https://www.facebook.com/MarvinCoronelOfficial/videos/10152308595518246/

I always use scratchy plastic and soapy water as the first line against rusty chrome, most of the “rust” is staining from the rust that has spread out around the pitting on the surface of the chrome. which is obvious from this vid, as he cleans it up the rust patches are very small, the previous mess was staining and “bloom”.

What irks me is that someone is implying that coke “converts” rust?

I’m not going to defend coke, I mostly find it disgusting, unless I am very hot and it is very cold, with ice, then its blooody amazing, but that is rare.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

aluminium foil and water has always done the trick for me, coke can accelerate the process slightly, however i’ve found the aluminium paste effective and cheap.

dbcooper
    Free Member

yeah i have heard the aluminium foil one, but just to make myself clear. I’m not really looking for advice on chrome cleaning, just looking for critical analysis of the video. I think its bullshit.

slackalice
    Free Member

You’ll get a mirror finish with amphetamines and a lot cheaper too…

molgrips
    Free Member

What irks me is that someone is implying that coke “converts” rust?

Isn’t Kurust just phosphoric acid? When you paint it on rust it goes blue, so I thought maybe it was a reducing agent, but according to the internet it’s not.

Any chemists in the house?

dbcooper
    Free Member

I thought maybe it was a reducing agent, but according to the internet it’s not.

Exactly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning chrome with coke.. Skeptical’ is closed to new replies.