Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cleaning cable housing – Skint end of month content
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Hello,

So I’m looking for a quick way to clean the inside of my shifter cable housing using stuff I have kicking around.

I have a new inner ready to go inside, and thought it might be worth the effort.

Would using a GT85 can with the straw attached, blasting enough inside and letting to drip out, have any effect?

Was thinking a little wet lube on the cable afterwards would do it wonders also? Or oil?

Any other suggestions?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If it were me, what with me being a perfectionist a bit anal, the amount of time and money I’d waste getting the outer clean I’d have been better off buying a new one!

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Yes. Your technique would revive your shifting with no cost other than that of the two lubes so if you already have them it makes perfect sense. Do it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanW
    Free Member

That’ll improve them, next steps possibly snip the last cm of each end of the outer (if theres spare) thats usually the bit that causes friction. Next you can by really good gear cable sets from Halfords for a tenner. lastly go single speed no cable worries ever again!

plyphon
    Free Member

Good stuff, cheers guys.

scaredypants

all the shite will be at the mech end so be sure to “blow” from the shifter end

mikewsmith
    Free Member

clip the ends, spay with GT85 refit

ndthornton
    Free Member

If it were me, what with me being a perfectionist a bit anal, the amount of time and money I’d waste getting the outer clean I’d have been better off buying a new one!

I would argue that spraying degreeser down the outers is quicker than cutting new ones to length – you still have to take everything off. Its also much cheeper.

I posted almost the same thread a while back – My idea was to use degreaser followed by dry chain lube which I use for the motorbike. Well I did this and they are still shifting well (not like new) despite the horrendous weather we have had recently. Next time I may try polish……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning cable housing – Skint end of month content’ is closed to new replies.