Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cleaning brick walls – plants not paint
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The driveway has been freshly resurfaced and some of the surrounding plants moved. That bit looks okay but the brick wall that is now exposed looks pretty grubby.

Any way to clean the brick wall without destroying the surface of the bricks?

wwaswas

couple of passes with a jet wash set to a wide pattern?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Pressure washer, as above – use whatever pattern you need, the water won’t damage sound brickwork. When it’s dry, spray it with Wet & Forget or similar, as algae like nice clean surfaces.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can we have a pic of the lions you must have on the top of those gate posts 😉

😀

mark90
    Free Member

As above cautious pressure wash followed by wet and forget.

Tracey

We use a patio scrubber attachment for the jet wash, does walls, paving, garage door, glass roof on conservatory and anything else it can reach.

Sandwich

As above cautious pressure wash

Remember the OP is World Class Accident for a reason. Hire someone to do it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s probably algae growing on the surface, spraying weedkiller might help if the jetwasher doesn’t work.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Remember the OP is World Class Accident for a reason

and we live in a hard water area so it would probably hurt if it hit me

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Cementone Brick cleaner

cbike
    Free Member

Just leave it weathered and maintenance free? Now the plants are away it’s all going to dry out and fall off anyway.

You’ll clean that bit then have to do the whole house to match?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Good idea cbike. I will explain to MrsWCA that it doesn’t need doing. You have saved my weekend!

paulevans
    Free Member

Mini hijack if I may be so bold.

We’ve got rough rendered elevations to our house that have been painted white. When we bought the house a couple years or so ago the walls were gleaming, but now the walls are going green with algae, in particular the elevations that face north west.

Any ideas on how best to clean the green and prevent it from coming back any time soon?

stumpyjon

Jeyes fluid? In my experience jet washing cleans it off but it does come back qucikly. I wonder weather some of the algae gets forced into the brick work. For the record jet washers can damage soubd brickwork, especially the sandy finish types, it can also strip concrete slabs if done repeatedly, done both personally.

chorlton
    Free Member

Fungicidal wash.

honeybadgerx

Sika do an antifungal wash that works very well, you can pick some up from b&q, builders merchants, etc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning brick walls – plants not paint’ is closed to new replies.