Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • cleaning blood
  • z1ppy

Need to clean some “dried and already washed” blood off some sheets, any idea’s?

Now
    1) No violence has been involved in causing the blood stain (hey I’d be burning the evidence if there was!)
    2) It already been washed in warm water, so has “impregrenated” the material, so comments telling me to wash it in cold water 1st, have missed the boat
    (there’s a 20 page Mums-net post, where all the respondents are saying “wash it in cold water 1st” to someone with exactly the same question…)

So been washed @ 40 [not me I might add!], then soak overnight in salt water then washed again at 60 with oxi action – this was me, cause once the boat has sailed you might as when hang on and enjoy the ride

Do have a 90 degree wash cycle which I’m kinda tempted to try next… Any idea before I bin em?

njee20
    Free Member

Bleach?

z1ppy

Definite idea, hadn’t thought of it as one of the sheets isn’t white (cream coloured), that said a slight white patch would be preferable to the current look.

theotherjonv

Are you using an enzymatic washing powder?

sandwicheater

Die the sheet red.

Make a ghost costume.

Make a great deal of napkins.

I’m not sure I’ve been helpful.

z1ppy

errr persil non-bio… and the oxi action, no idea if there that, will see what the internet says about them

EDIT: Sandwicheater, funnier than the expected “washing them in cold water 1st” post

EDIT 2: Do I want to use an “enzymatic washing powder” or not?

globalti
    Free Member

Wash them as hot as possible as a last resort. If that doesn’t work, nothing will. How do you think professional laundries get food and blood stains out of chefs’ whites and so on?

ninfan
    Free Member

Tried a good long soak in napisan?

z1ppy

To be honest having worked in a kitchen, I was always amazed chef whites came back white!

Stoner
    Free Member

make sure you leave no trace.

BoardinBob

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIgphDPytM[/video]

footflaps

I find cleaning Chainsaw blades to be the worst, traces of blood hide everywhere….

theotherjonv

If you are using non-bio, then no, it won’t have enzymes in it. Try it with an enzymatic (biological) washing powder; this will contain protease enzymes which break down the blood stains (also amylases for starch and lipases for fats) which might get the result you need.

You might also try starting it off with a quick pretreatment of spit (really) which also contains protease enzymes. Depends how spitty you are and how big the stain is though.

Edit

do I want to use an enzymatic washing powder?

In this case yes. In general; they work better. However some people seem to be sensitive to the enzymes and they can cause irritation when you wear the clothes again. We don’t use bio in my house, but have a pack on standby for washing my riding kit when it’s covered in blood and oil.

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg6AMEW2VAA[/video]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Peroxide cleaner.

Vanish power-shot.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have to ask, is this a “monthly” stain? :mrgreen:

z1ppy

😉

cheers for the suggestions, will give everything a go and bin em at worst.

matt_outandabout

Time for a change of decor?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    Peroxide cleaner.

^This.

Hydrogen Peroxide. You can buy 5 litre drums of it on ebay, and just put a small diluted cup of it in your washing machine. It’s great for washing bike kit too, as it gets rid of sweat smells.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Thought this was some new celeb detox program for the sheeple.

CountZero

cbmotorsport – Member
    gofasterstripes – Member
    Peroxide cleaner.
    ^This.

Hydrogen Peroxide. You can buy 5 litre drums of it on ebay, and just put a small diluted cup of it in your washing machine. It’s great for washing bike kit too, as it gets rid of sweat smells.
    i was going to suggest hydrogen peroxide, a bottle of old school contact lens sterilising solution might be enough; I had an infected cut back when I used that stuff on my lenses, it fizzed in a very satisfying fashion and cleaned things up nicely.
    As it’s an organic bleach it ought to work ok.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If it was for cleaning your [still circulating] blood, you could always try

the stinking well, Harrogate!

But, uhh, yeah while drinking 2 litres of it in 2000 got rid of all my spots, it sure was a powerful, memorable experience.

z1ppy

😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

Stain Devil do a blood one of you haven’t already sorted it out with the above solutions.

showerman
    Free Member

5lts of Hydrogen Peroxide keep that in a safe place when not in use

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘cleaning blood’ is closed to new replies.