Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cleaning a down sleeping bag
  • honourablegeorge

Bit OT – what’s the best way to clean a down sleeping bag? Mine’s kept me warm on a lot of bike trips, but is a bit grimy now, and there’s beer or something spilled on it too.

peterfile
    Free Member

I used Mountaineering Designs last year and the service was good, but it’s not that cheap.

You can do it yourself with a bath and tumble dryer, but it seems like a right old faff.

honourablegeorge

Hmm. The label says machine washable.

johnners
    Free Member

A very big front loader, and a detergent specially for down items. Drying it’s the trick. Alpkit have a good article

honourablegeorge

Ta for the article.

Does look a lot of hassle.

globalti
    Free Member

Getting the bag properly soaked is a right pain; it takes hours. Once you’ve done that you are supposed to let it soak then dry it. When I did it, the bag wouldn’t dry and after a couple of days lying like soggy bog paper on a rack over the bath it began to grow bacteria and smell even worse than before so I put it in the spin dryer, which had a miraculous effect. An hour hung up in hot sun and it was lovely and fluffy and I’ve just used it on C2C when it was 41 years old.

blastit
    Free Member

I just gave mine to the wife and she sorted it out,
    It seems loads better now more fluffier.

noltae
    Free Member

Wash in bath – do not use a detergent – soap flakes or dedicated down wash – gently does it with the hand washing – be careful not to scrunch it up when wet as this can stress the fill and potentially compromise loft – dry layed out flat over a few days somewhere warm and dry – in future keep it cleaner longer by wearing base layers inside .. Replenish DWR with spray not wash in – Never leave bag in stuff sack when storing …

matt_outandabout

I think these guys used to be Franklins/are Franklins, in which case, they are very good.
    http://www.downcleaning.co.uk/

marmaduke
    Free Member

They take literally hours and hours in the tumbledryer. Stick some lacrosse balls in with it too 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Some dry cleaners will do them. They use the same process as a down duvet cleaning.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

IMO this is a job that’s rare enough and annoying enough to make sending it off the Franklins (or whatever they’re called now) a bit of a no-brainer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning a down sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.