Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Clean Wet Lube does such a thing exist since the death of R'N'R Extreme?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

please help me find it, bike lives in the house, sick to death of carrying up stairs covered in oil from a manky chain (muc off ceramic wet lube)

one ride and its filthy black griding paste, is there anything out there like rnr extreme that even if it needed reapplying regularly just keeps everything pretty clean but still actually works in the wet?

not interested in the putoline home made wax, just something I can buy off the shelf 🙂

rone

I’ve been using this with the same requirements as you.

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/wickens-soderstrom-no-8-tyre-sealant/24242

It’s not as clean as RnR but lasts longer doesn’t turn into 3 in 1 on your chain.

I’m liking it so far. Not cheap.

schmiken

Chain L?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Nothing homemade about putoline, it comes in a tin! But it does stay a bit slimy so might not be perfect- it’ll never drip or anything but if you rub against it, it’ll leave a mark

sazter

edit – ok I see, sorry!

brassneck

Pro Gold Extreme – seems very thin, almost petrol like but works and stays clean. It dissolves all the grease and gunk on the chain when you first apply the coats (supposed to do 3 applications to start with) so do it outside and ideally clean the chain and dry first.

Halfords were doing a LITRE for £11.99, that should see me out on all the bikes in the household.

legolam
    Free Member
    rone
    fathomer

legolam – Member
    New UK distributor for Rock N Roll Extreme

That’s bloody brilliant news 😀

Rone – Expensive stuff!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

🙂 x 1,000,000,000

that’s great news surprised they decided to sack it off in the uk its hugely popular! will be ordering more

anyone in the uk got any old stock at the min to see me through till November 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

if any one knows of any shops selling the last of the stuff please do let me know 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

Green Oil lube is pretty good, and it’s eco friendly too.

I’ve heard it said that it’s not what you use but how well you look after something, when it comes to greases and lubricants etc.

Don’t be mean, GO GREEN. 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Pro Gold Extreme – seems very thin, almost petrol like but works and stays clean. It dissolves

plastic chain guides and other components. Both MRP and E13 specifically recommend against Pro Gold (due to it’s paraffin base I think).

Obvs not an issue if you’re all noo skool 1x, but might be a factor if you’ve got a bash guard you’d rather not shatter.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member
    luffy105
    Free Member

I bought a big bottle of RnR Extreme from Australia on Ebay. It arrived within a week and of course is more expensive but if you need it, you need it….

this was the seller I got it from. Comes in a big bottle and they give you a little bottle to decant it into.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Roll-Extreme-Blue-Chain-MTB-Bike-Lube-Lubricant-16oz-Oil-473ml-Bottle-/261977124588?hash=item3cff0daeec:g:tlgAAOSw~gRVr88T

Just don’t decant it near an open flame. This stuff really burns!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

luffy – seen them on ebay but the postage just seems to steep if it was a fiver or similar id bite, but not at 17quid 🙁 its more to post than it is to buy the actual product 🙁

zelak999
    Free Member

legolam – Member

Thats awesome news, nice spot legolam! 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

GREEN OIL

‘Damn good lube, whether you’re bothered about the environment or not…’

http://road.cc/content/review/12256-green-oil-chain-lube

All of us here care about the environment, right?

TimothyD
    Free Member

It’s a What Mountain Bike GOLD winner too.

It’s never left my chain black and mark leaving on clothes etc.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/green-oil-ecological-chain-lube/

I don’t work for them, I’m just a tree hugger. 🙂

AlexSimon

legolam – Member

oxym0r0n

Still nursing my big bottle of blue through Autumn…

enfht
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought four 16oz bottles of Extreme from a US eBay seller. Didn’t pay too much extra for the postage either. Looks like I overstocked a bit for the impending drought..

molgrips
    Free Member

Shimano wet lube. Pic taken AFTER a wet ride, and yes it is still lubed:

It’s never left my chain black and mark leaving on clothes etc.

Green lube did leave my chain black…

Suggsey
    Free Member

Molgrips what sort of mud were you riding in our of genuine interest?

molgrips
    Free Member

That was Swinley, in the rain – so sandy and peaty, not claggy.

I’m not saying it will magic mud away, of course – I’m showing how it hasn’t gone black.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Okay yep I can see that it was sandy……..I thought Swinley was lovely clean mud compared to Chase Paste, and I suppose thereby lies the problem UK wide. There’s sandy mud, gritstone mud and clay…..alas local rides involve a lot of clay based mud for me and Chase Paste appears to be clay based sandy gritstone 😆
    Ooooohhh how we dream of summer…..

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Molgrips – how did you apply the Shimano lube? After one ride my chain was way mankier than that. Reckon I put too much on.

crazy-legs

Finish Line Ceramic Wax lube is the best that I’ve ever used. The white stuff. Even Finish Line Dry turns black and manky after a while but the ceramic is brilliant in all weathers.

Need to shake the bottle a lot at first, it’s a suspension of particles in a paraffin-based fluid. Works best if the chain is spotlessly clean. The new chain that I fitted last week, I cleaned off the factory grease using GT85 then dried it. Cassette and chainrings had both been removed and scrubbed with degreaser so when it all went back together it was sparkling.

Did a weekend of riding in Wales and it’s still spotless, no trace of the usual black greasy crap.

vincienup
    Free Member

I used much off c3 wet ceramic last winter and have gone off it mightily. It worked as a lube, but was the second filthiest chain lube I’ve ever had. Complete sod to clean off properly too, also drip from chain ate the amalgamating tape on my chainstay so no idea what it does to other stuff.

I wanted to go wax and tried the finish line. Not a fan. Very smelly solvent and not convinced I didn’t leave more wax in the bottle than got on the chain. Bottle kept getting blocked. Yes, it was very well shaken.

I’ve gone with White Lightening Clean Ride. Not stinky, works properly, can see in clear bottle that it’s mixed, doesn’t clog, chain stays clean and lubed. Lasts well. If I was going back to a non wax I like the Purple Extreme.

If only Juice lubes were more widely available in the North. The big distributors seem to have edged them out for larger brands.

iainc

Recently been using Progold Extreme on MTB and it seems good, didn’t realise it will dissolve my bike though…

Also have the regular Progold on carbon road bike, so guess it will be dissolved dust as well soon….

😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not interested in the putoline home made wax, just something I can buy off the shelf

Whilst not ideal in a flat, it’s not homade, comes in a big tin (think cadbury roses tin, but shallower).

Still haven’t re-lubed mine since I bought the fryer to do it in.

Anyone else got 2 months out of their chain lube (and still no need to top up).

molgrips
    Free Member

I just started with a very clean chain and applied sparingly. It could well be a function of both lube and trail composition. I’do try it out with South Wales grit but I’m still using Muc Off dry which is fantastic and surprisingly good in the moderate wet too.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Rock and roll have a new uk importer with stock soon apparently

nickc

I’m using Juicy lubes Viking Juice.

Not only a manly name, but excellent lube, and doesn’t leave a manky chain.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Since my RnR ran out, I’ve been using this stuff as a chain lube (with thanks to glasgowdan for suggesting!)

TBH I’m not sure I’ll go back to RnR, this stuff is cheap as chips, lasted through a soaking wet Torridon weekend and keeps everything lovely and clean.

I put it on after a ride, and sometimes repeat a few hours later to build up a wee layer, really happy with it.

7 quid a litre in my local Motorbike shop.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

vincienup – Member

I used much off c3 wet ceramic last winter and have gone off it mightily. It worked as a lube, but was the second filthiest chain lube I’ve ever had. Complete sod to clean off properly too, also drip from chain ate the amalgamating tape on my chainstay so no idea what it does to other stuff.

I wanted to go wax and tried the finish line. Not a fan. Very smelly solvent and not convinced I didn’t leave more wax in the bottle than got on the chain. Bottle kept getting blocked. Yes, it was very well shaken.

I’ve gone with White Lightening Clean Ride. Not stinky, works properly, can see in clear bottle that it’s mixed, doesn’t clog, chain stays clean and lubed. Lasts well. If I was going back to a non wax I like the Purple Extreme.

If only Juice lubes were more widely available in the North. The big distributors seem to have edged them out for larger brands.

exactly my thoughts on the C3 ceramic wet lube, its the gackiest/thickest/blackest/claggiest lube ive ever used (worse than finish line green!)

ive used purple extreme and its good in summer but found it didn’t last too well in the mud/wet longer rides

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

Finish Line Ceramic Wax lube is the best that I’ve ever used. The white stuff. Even Finish Line Dry turns black and manky after a while but the ceramic is brilliant in all weathers.

Need to shake the bottle a lot at first, it’s a suspension of particles in a paraffin-based fluid. Works best if the chain is spotlessly clean. The new chain that I fitted last week, I cleaned off the factory grease using GT85 then dried it. Cassette and chainrings had both been removed and scrubbed with degreaser so when it all went back together it was sparkling.

Did a weekend of riding in Wales and it’s still spotless, no trace of the usual black greasy crap.

crazy legs, not tried this, was it dry or wet when you rode?? I know you ride the peak, so do you think it will work well on longer rides in the peak district? especially with winter imminent?

andybrad

I’ve been using ubs for a while now and it’s good as a summer lube. Also seems to help with the post ride cleaning. However I’m not 100% convinced of its lubricant properties.

I’ve tried various muc off and finish line green and they all end up looking like crap. Daft as it sounds I’m thinking something like gt85 may be the best solution

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ve also been using UBS and i’m unsure what the 3 letters stand for? sure it makes the bike easier to wash but i’m also concerned as to its lubricating capability, I’ve used the scottoiler too in the yellow bottles and i’m not too convinced its any diferent?

I saw a while ago on here SHIMANO Wet Lube in the black bottle was good, a chain de gunk and lube up followed by wiping off the xs before a ride made the chain black as the inside of a witches hat, the jockey wheels were stuck up to hell with black sticky crud.

So, i then went for the Muc-Off C3 Ceramic and exactly as above, i remember when Finish Line used to go black and tacky but retained a wet sticky finish but at least it lasted, nowadays lube drys out giving an almost dry residue. i have tinkered with the 3in1 in the white bottle this also goes Gummy on the chain and jockey wheels.
    I applied some ATF a month or so ago, that had a similar effect to the Finish Line stuff from 20 years ago wet and probably NOT very good for the environment which is why? probably these new fangled Snake Oil’s go gummy and dont actually Lube very well at all.

Which ends with either: PUTOLINEWax or R’n’R Blue,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Clean Wet Lube does such a thing exist since the death of R'N'R Extreme?’ is closed to new replies.