Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Clean eating – do you? Should we?
  • weeksy

Dunno, it’s about a gazillion words of nothing… nothing in there actually tells me what ‘clean eating’ is…

However, i doubt it’s pizza and steak along with beers, so i’m guessing i’m a No..

slowoldman

Another load of old rubbish designed to lighten the pockets of the gullible as demonstrated in the Horizon programme.

Balanced diet here.

wrightyson
    Free Member

According to the news this morning jacket potatoes now kill you.

Kryton57

Basically its eating non- Processed foods to avoid hidden fats etc, on the basis if you cant kill, pick or grown it dont eat it aka eating naturally.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Wellness! I thought that was a word that was ‘eingedeutscht’ didn’t realise it was actualy part of the English language. Yuk! 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

There are many toxic layers to the wellness phenomenon. It is no coincidence that the faces of wellness are unfailingly young and thin, overwhelmingly white and all the talk of purity against that backdrop of privilege leaves a rather unsavoury taste in the mouth.

What….the….actual…..****? What an utter steaming pile of shit that article is from start to finish.

weeksy

Kryton57 – Member

Basically its eating non- Processed foods to avoid hidden fats etc, on the basis if you cant kill, pick or grown it dont eat it aka eating naturally.

Where do you draw the line though.

You can pick/grow/kill most/all of the things in bread, pasta, cheese, yoghurt…. but all are probably considered ‘processed’ in this discussion context i bet.

Does it mean, picked and then eaten in it’s current form without any ‘mixing’ or changing of structure then ?

Cougar

According to the news this morning jacket potatoes now kill you.

They probably do if you throw them hard enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They probably do if you throw them hard enough.

Or fired from a trident sub, sideyways.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong in steering your diet away from processed foods as much as possible.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Spud Missiles?

nickc

nothing in there actually tells me what ‘clean eating’ is.

Not a surprise, it’s probably the main contention, none of the people that a lot of folk claim peddel the myth or fad of “clean eating” have mostly never used that term.

This goes some way to explain what it tries to be..

was roughly the idea that we should eat less processed food and more fruit and veg. It was about doing away with junk food, and staging a return to a more thoughtful way of eating

This programme is the normal backlash after a diet fad has been revealed not to make their adherents thinner, better looking and more interesting. Plus it’s the end of January, everyone’s been dry for four weeks, and trying to exercise more and they’re all a bit grumpy, this article allows those people to throw their hands in the air and give up. Look for all those clean eating recipe book Xmas presents in an Oxfam near you

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong in steering your diet away from processed foods as much as possible.

This, and I don’t consider it a fad either.

Jamie
    Free Member

I only eat food that’s been through the dishwasher.

nickc

cloudnine
    Free Member

I had nutella on burnt toast for breakfast… I’d be surprised if I make it through the day.

gobuchul
    Free Member

This is very true.

You just need to define “processed”.

I stopped eating bread and pasta a couple of years ago. If I eat any quantity of bread now it really has a bad effect on my stomach!

The only processed stuff in my kitchen now are stock cubes, wine, beer and sausages from the local butcher.

I still eat the occasional drunken donor kebab and KFC. 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s going to be a long week, Nick.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I still eat the occasional drunken donor kebab

Wonder who the drunken donor was?

CheesybeanZ

perchypanther – Member
    Spud Missiles?

😆 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Unless you’re killing the animal by your own hands or rip the veg out of the ground, and start munching on it there and then, it’s processed.

gobuchul – Member 
    I stopped eating bread and pasta a couple of years ago. If I eat any quantity of bread now it really has a bad effect on my stomach!

Chance there that you’re coeliac.

DrP

^^ He may be. We could make a lovely mash out of him if he is..

DrP

jimjam
    Free Member

deadkenny

Unless you’re killing the animal by your own hands or rip the veg out of the ground, and start munching on it there and then, it’s processed.

Your just being pedantic. There’s a massive difference between this

and this

Unlikely. Most people experience bloating and discomfort if they reintroduce bread into their diet after abstaining for a bit.

rjmccann101

There’s bread and there’s bread, most supermarket bread is made using the Chorleywood Process, this results in a very different product to what you get if you make bread with just flour, yeast, salt, water and time. Have a look at the Real Bread Campaign web site.

lunge

The way I see it is that if you’re making things from fresh ingredients then you know whats in them and so can make better informed decisions on what you’re eating. This means you, in theory at least, have a better grasp on the nutritional values of what you’re eating.

That’s my take on it anyway, probably rubbish but in a post-truth world it’ll do.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That’s not really a valid definition.

The “process” of picking, transporting and storing vegetables does not change them chemically in any significant way.

Harvesting wheat, milling it, mixing it with fat and yeast, then baking it, changes the wheat completely from it’s original state.

Not really. Used to eat plenty of bread and I still drink plenty of beer without a problem.

bails

Just had a thought. Could we genetically engineer a chicken so that instead of eggs it laid pre-battered chicken nuggets?

Harvesting wheat, milling it, mixing it with fat and yeast, then baking it, changes the wheat completely from it’s original state.

Yes, it changes it to a delicious state!

devash
    Free Member

Typical Grauniad self-parody article. Just as I think they’ve hit “Peak Graun” they outdo themselves. 😆

The key to living a long healthy life;

Eat a balanced diet, sensible portions
    Keep active (even if its just a 20 mins walk a day
    Keep stress to a minimum
    Don’t smoke. (very important)
    Alcohol in moderation

The “Wellness” industry is just that, an industry. Like all industries, it wants to sell you things you may not need, in order to generate a profit.

slowoldman

There’s bread and there’s bread, most supermarket bread is made using the Chorleywood Process

One of the biggest dis-services foisted upon the unsuspecting public. But you don’t have to knit your own vegetables, there is a perfectly sensible diet between over-processed and raw.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Any form of cooking changes the food from its original state, in that molecules change shape, change bonds, etc. Proteins, sugars and carbs in particular.

Just today you’ve got the report (or another one as it’s been said before) that over cooking starchy food can cause the formation of acrylamide which is now said to increase your risk of cancer. That’s from a simple process of just heating it too high.

jimjam – Member 
    Your just being pedantic

Indeed I am 😀 , but also making a point about the obsession of “bad food” words.

Processed, gluten, GM, non-organic, treated, pasteurised.

Some foods involving these words are certainly bad. Many are not.

rjmccann101 – Member 
    There’s bread and there’s bread, most supermarket bread is made using the Chorleywood Process, this results in a very different product to what you get if you make bread with just flour, yeast, salt, water and time. Have a look at the Real Bread Campaign web site.

Had a number of attempts at making my own bread recently and each time I’ve not felt well after. Though the stuff did taste nice.

nickc

You just need to define “processed”.

I think if your food preparation consists of pricking the film with a fork, and turning the dial to 2mins on full; It’s probably not going to have the nutritional value you’re hoping for, and you could probably help yourself by starting with fresher ingredients.

gobuchul
    Free Member

One of the biggest dis-services foisted upon the unsuspecting public.

Possibly. At the time it was seen as progress.

It was introduced a few years after rationing had ended and greatly reduced the cost of bread. People were skint and it also reduced wheat imports.

It’s a bit like the farmed chicken industry, in the 1980’s chicken became a cheap, healthy source of protein. It was seen as a good thing.
    Now if your chicken doesn’t come from a rare breed, living in a chicken house with south facing gardens and eating a special diet, it’s an evil poison.

deadkenny
    Free Member

nickc – Member 
    I think if your food preparation consists of pricking the film with a fork, and turning the dial to 2mins on full; It’s probably not going to have the nutritional value you’re hoping for, and you could probably help yourself by starting with fresher ingredients.

Absolutely. I mostly cook from basic ingredients, although I have been known to go for an M&S or Waitrose microwave curry, as they are rather nice 😀 (though when I can be bothered I make my own curry).

Anyway “processed”. Sure, the ready meal is the obvious evil. Reformed meat apparently, although is it any different to the same meat before it was reformed? (assuming it hasn’t undergone the “pink slime” process to kill bacteria that MuckyD was using).

But what about…

Sausages. Nice proper fresh ones from the butcher, not mealy/wheat ones. They’re still considered processed food and on the hit list for cancer recently.

Likewise bacon. I mean BACON! 😯 . Bacon can never be considered evil! 😉

Cured cold meats, ham, salami etc. Also on the causes cancer list.

Pasteurised milk/cheese and anything made from these. Do you go raw, or are you vegan?

If you’re into “clean” eating, do you avoid these also?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Sausages. Nice proper fresh ones from the butcher, not mealy/wheat ones.

All sausages contain wheat or they wouldn’t really be sausages. All sausages are “processed” or they wouldn’t really be sausages. I still eat the good ones though.

Bacon is definitely processed. I still eat it though.

I guess I would fail any “clean eating” test. 🙂

Carcinogenic foods are everywhere. Apparently black pepper and coffee give you cancer as well.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

If anyone is really interested in this in scientific terms, I recommend reading. It’s a genuinely interesting read.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my thought has always been that not all processed foods are bad. olive oil is processed, milk is processed to make it safe and so on.

It is processed foods that have the addition of salt, sugar or fat that that should set off the alarm bells . They can be eaten of course (bacon is the prime example) but in real moderation, if that is what you want to do of course…!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Weird article. Talks about the backlash against clean eating, defined as

roughly the idea that we should eat less processed food and more fruit and veg. It was about doing away with junk food, and staging a return to a more thoughtful way of eating

(Which is a pretty reasonable philosophy I’d have thought) and then uses a bunch of horror stories about totally different things to back it up.

Anyway personally I think there’s nothing wrong with some dirty chicken nuggets once every few weeks, lots of fresh fruit and veg otherwise, maybe watch the carbs a bit, don’t sit on your ‘arris all day. You won’t look like Joe Wicks but you shouldn’t be in too much of state either.

wors

[Quote] According to the news this morning jacket potatoes now kill you.[/quote]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I really want some chicken nuggets now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Clean eating – do you? Should we?’ is closed to new replies.