Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • clay shooting with a double trigger side by side
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

not helped by current right handed but left eye dominance

anybody want to give me their gun/skills?

greeble
    Free Member

there are left/right handed specific shotguns. with different trigger arrangements.
    tbh if you shoot right handed you’ll have to use your right eye to aim. no other way about it

Stoner
    Free Member

Im right handed and left eye dominant. And even have a couple of national caps for target rifle. It’s not debilitating, esp not for shotgun as closing your left eye is not going to cause as many problems as when rifle shooting.

Check the cast of your stock though – left cast for a right hander is virtually impossible to set your cheek to stock properly.

As for triggers, I much prefer two trigger SBS. Whenever I borrow a mate’s OU double pull trigger I always end up having a crack at the second bird by yanking on the trigger guard 😳

Practice, practice, practice.

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeah, i’m practising shutting the left eye as much as i can now to try and switch the dominance over… still picking up the target with both eyes and close the (hopefully) left eye at the last moment to focus down the barrel.

i like having two triggers for clays, whenever i have a go on a various friends OU’s i forget you can use the trigger a second time and stall the second shot.

think my stock isn’t right and i’m not getting the best mount at the moment, comb’s probably too low and i’m moving my head too much to fit the gun which is throwing off my shots a bit… still its a cheap gun and i can’t quite afford a custom stock or even a professional gun fit at the moment

MrSmith
    Free Member

tbh if you shoot right handed you’ll have to use your right eye to aim. no other way about it

wrong. you have both eyes open and the master eye will be dominant, its not a rifle.

i have a left master eye but am right handed (i was made to use a pen R/H at school) but shoot left handed because thats my master eye, i do prefer a side by side though as i get a better sight picture (both eyes open obviously), i find a single barrel or O/U means it feels like i’m looking down the side of the barrel.

maybe try left handed, i wouldnt’ get involved with cross-over’s as they are rare and have a horrible recoil because the stock isnt straight.

double trigger is fine

jambalaya
    Free Member

I took a lesson and instructor told me I have very strong left eye dominance, I now shoot “left handed” with my right eye closed. I am naturally right handed. The improvement was dramatic.

BTW I know you are supposed to shoot both eyes open but with the instructor we tried various combinations of both eyes open, one shut, left and right handed. The left handed, right eye shut was the winner by a very long way.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i can see the point of learning with a patch or dark lens in a pair of glasses but if you were shooting regularly your master eye will quickly take over, the non master eye is used to help judge speed/direction and general spatial awareness so if you have 2 eyes you should use them.

philconsequence
    Free Member

left handed eh 😕

teethgrinder

YOu need to watch and learn from Wings of the Apache (I think that’s what it’s called). Patch left eye, rape-tape a periscope to the right eye and blatt about on you bike/car/whatever.

willard

A pair of glasses with a bit of cellotape over the left eye should help your awkward eye dominance a bit, but it’s a long term thing rather than a quick fix.

Also, a game gun for clays? SRSLY?

spence
    Free Member

Same here,right handed with left eye dominance – reasoning as MrSmith, but mother not school. Persevere with both eyes open as much as possible and learn to judge lead. Easy enough for reaction shots such as incoming, going away and teal. Quartering is a bit harder and maybe I shut my left eye on long crossers. As said practice with whatever works for you, there’s no wrong way if you’re hitting the target.

philconsequence
    Free Member

clays is once every 2 weeks, rough shooting is 2 days a week.

samuri
    Free Member

Just keep the gun on your hip, you don’t need to look down the sight to be honest. The people in the bank will be just as scared no matter where you look.

MrSmith
    Free Member

why not? there is a phrase “beware the man with one gun” he’s the bloke with the torn barbour who rocks up and shoots all the stands with no choke twiddling or cartridge change (an assortment of 6’s-7’s of different brands) and misses nothing.

the antithesis of all the gear no idea.

parkesie
    Free Member

Both eyes open get a big box of shells and practice.

philconsequence
    Free Member

thats me alright mrsmith 😆

12quid b&q wellies, 50quid side by side, assorted 4, 5, 6’s, some paper cartridges that could be anything, some stamped with ‘made in USSR’ with newspaper wadding in them…. 😀

apart from the whole ‘misses nothing’ bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@phil – it may seem “wrong” and one eye shut isn’t purist but try it. For me the difference was so huge and immediate it was a no brainer. I wasn’t bad right handed / two eyes open but left handed / right eye shut I was pretty damn good 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

🙂 will give it a go jambalaya, no harm in trying… its not as if i’m waving a loaded shotgun about the place 😯 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@phil. haha very good. I paid my money to the good fellow at Bisley so it only seemed sensible to take his advice. My eye dominance is strong and I can’t shut my left eye (I’ve tried practicing but cannot do it). Interesting thing for me is that my right hand is the one doing “the pointing” so it seems quite natural to shoot left shoulder. Remember you have to adjust your stance too (I kept forgetting that at first)

philconsequence
    Free Member

who was it who coached you at bisley? wasn’t a shorter chap with a giant moustache was it?

derek_starship
    Free Member

SBS for clays = ouch hot hands.

Moving target = both eyes open.

sharki
    Free Member

I can’t really help, i’ve only shot clays with a Bolt action shotgun, which would of been hard if i was left handed.

Try wearing an eye patch over your left eye, that way you can effectively shoot with both your eyes open.

Scapegoat

The only real route to success is to shoot off your left shoulder, and once you’re used to it have your gun fitted properly. You can adapt to one eye shooting( ask Dave Carrie) but if you can persevere with shooting off he left then do so.
    http://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Shooting-Pheasants/extreme-pheasants.html

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘clay shooting with a double trigger side by side’ is closed to new replies.