Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Classifieds – Should people be allowed to specify Paypal gift?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

This irks me a bit. Quiet a few sellers now seem to be insisting on PP gift payment in their ads.

As far as I'm concerned it's something I don't mind doing if I've got a trusting feeling about them, although having been ripped off by a seller before (thanks Snaps) – I get a bit huffy when sellers assume I'm going to do it.

Surely it's at the buyer's discretion and should be treated as a bonus by the seller if they've earned the buyer's trust.

Are sellers really asking less for their items now there's a way to not pay PP fees? I doubt it.

steveh

I ask for paypal gift or buyer to pay the fees. IME the buyer gets all the protection of using paypal so they should pay for this benefit.

Drac

Should be in with the price, if you don't want to pay the fees as a seller do a bank transfer.

woffle
    Free Member

I can't say I have a problem with it as long as they don't mind if I want to pay the extra. As a buyer it's like insurance, right? If I trust the seller then fine, otherwise I don't mind stumping up a little extra…

I ask for paypal gift or buyer to pay the fees. IME the buyer gets all the protection of using paypal so they should pay for this benefit.

Exactly – the flip-side of gifts is that it protects the seller rather than the buyer which isn't a bad thing if you've been on the end of some spurious charge-backs. paypal's customer service for ripped-off sellers who end up out of pocket AND without an item isn't exactly great.

Again, it comes down to trust I guess.

As a seller I'd try to include fees in the price asked if paypal is preferred – don't mind being haggled down a little in exchange for paypal as gift if they offer. Personally I'd rather use bank transfer which for most banks now is pretty much instant and means less money going into the coffers of paypal.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

the Ryan Air business model is sweeping the nation 🙁

snaps
    Free Member

Ripped you off?
    I don't think so, the item I sent you was brand new, arrived in less than 24 hours & you payed less than half its retail value.
    I offered you a refund but you refused to send it back.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I like giving out my bank details to strangers, I find it a great way to improve my chances of losing all my money 😕

What wrong with asking for a gift, if your that bothered send it and cover fees, or get in the car and pay cash.

Drac

So you've never written a cheque then dirty?

nbt

A gift implies that it is freely given. I'm not giving someone money, I'm buying something off them, therefore it should be "payment for goods"

🙄

psychle
    Free Member

like giving out my bank details to strangers, I find it a great way to improve my chances of losing all my money

Either I've been very lucky, or there's limited risk to this… I pay for most of my stuff via bank transfer, never had an issue… what could someone do with the info anyway?

EDIT:

So you've never written a cheque then dirty?

Exactly, it's the same thing… just done electronically, same info on both forms of payment right?

Drac

Exactly the same but probably more risk with a cheque as they also have your signature and cheques can be altered and faked. Electronic transfers are extremely safe thry can't do sn awful lot than put money in without being questioned.

Junkyard
    Free Member

never do it as I have never linked my bank with Paypal as I just dont trust them/. Either way I am paying the fees. They are pretty steep for what they are doing 5% ish iirc so I would generally like to avoid them. Seriuosly how much money does Paypal make when your bank will do it fopr free.
    As for paranoia surely someone is as likely to hack your Paypal account as try and impersonate you via your bank details? At least with the later , due to signing the FSA, you would have some come back re getting your money back with Paypal they would blame you for not securing your password and the money would be gone. Hate paypal no idea why it so poular they must literally be printing money with their business model.

geoffj

+1

Except, I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has ever benefited from the 'protection' offered by PayPal for stuff bought from the classifieds on here.

rudedog
    Free Member

The 'protection' paypal offer outside of ebay is almost non existant. It only covers if the item is not sent – not if the item doesn't match the description. And even then,they will only pay what they can recover from the other persons paypal account so if they don't have any money in it your screwed anyway.

alex222
    Free Member

no because if they screw you over like I have been there is no comeback. I will not be using a personal gift again. Cheers JV. 😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Paypal as a gift? Damn straight you should, or cheque or transfer.

I use the classified mainly because I got peed off with ebay/paypal fees, and if we all have to start paying the feesa again, the prices will go up and the usage will drop. Simples.

clubber
    Free Member

I would always ask for it but not insist on it if the buyer doesn't want. It's better for them because I'll post it quicker usually. I'll happily take bank transfer or cheque otherwise but it's slower.

nbt

If you;re selling stuff and don't want to pay paypal fees, don;t offer paypal as a way to pay you? fairly simple equation…

verticalclimber
    Free Member

if your worried about giving out bank details set up a savings account then no one can setup direct debits/standing orders etc on that account without alerting the bank. thats what i do now.

geoffj

If you;re selling stuff and don't want to pay paypal fees, don;t offer paypal as a way to pay you? fairly simple equation…

Or specify Gift or Buyer pays fees….fairly simple equation…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You don't have to buy form the sellers asking for a gift. If it irks you soo much buy from someone else, but I hate paying paypal fees as a seller becasue i gain absolutely nothing from it and it just exposes you to fraud when the 'buyer' claims it never arrived (convenient how RM has thier signature for this), Paypal do nothing but believe the buyers and the seller ends up with no money and no item as the buyer ends up with both.

TBH I dont think I'd accept payment in any form that didnt result in 100% of the money being securely in my hands with no chance of a refund unless I agree'd it with the seller (done that twice now, once when RM destroyed some forks, the other he changed his mind).

I bought a set of handlebars off someone recently, he said just put some cash in the post, it'll be in the post today despite the bars arriving in time for the STW ride on Sunday, I'd say the seller was too trusting, or maybe I'm more part of the STW furniture than I realise.

goog
    Free Member

I buy all my goods from a reputable bike retailer

classifieds = pikey skin flints !

Keef
    Free Member

Surely if the prospective buyer isn't happy with the terms,then it's their perogative to walk ? can't see a problem myself,I always ask for paypal gift,and am happy to pay with it.
    I don't do internet banking,and it is a major problem for me if the seller insists,however,if that's their only accepted payment method,then again,you've got the choice….
    It dosen't take five mins to check out the vendor on here,shame about the'great hack' 'cause you could check 'em out for years before that,still there's got to be trust in the world ,eh?
    I'm very happy with all the deals I've done through STW over the years,also got to know/meet some decent peeps,and have ridden with quite a few,just as a result of trading on here,I'd hate to think anyone felt ripped off by me,and I always let sellers know when goods have arived and that I'm happy.Likewise,I appreciate a quick email to let me know the same,if there's a problem,then it can always be sorted.
    the only thing that really 'get's my goat' is when peeps post a WTD add,you respond offering what they're asking for (or very similar)and they don't acknowledge you either way,I mean WTF ?!that's just rude .

Drac

I don't do internet banking,and it is a major problem for me if the seller insists,however,if that's their only accepted payment method,then again,you've got the choice..

That's the beauty of bank transfer they now can be done in the bank or did that come first?

khani
    Free Member

if the seller agrees to send tracked/signed for then its up to the buyer to decide if he wants the protection of pp and to pay for it, either pay the fees upfront or pay the extra to the seller on top of the sale price, if you dont trust the seller, dont buy
    paypal protects the buyer, the seller is taking a risk of being ripped off by chargeback and losing it all
    i only sell miner things with pp, if i sell a bike its pickup only for cash not because i cant post them but the hassles arnt worth the risk if they pick up and pay cash then they can inspect it and not claim non delivery and rip me off with chargeback, paypal sucks for sellers
    if im buying off here i allways look at the sellers history to see if they are regulers or peaple dealing on the classifieds and act accordingly

JonR
    Free Member

Paypal as a gift is the standard way of paying on the classifieds forum, if someone had a problem with it and I were selling something then I'd have no problem with charging them a bit more to cover the paypal fees or letting them pay cash on collection.

nbt

geoffj – Member

Or specify Gift or Buyer pays fees….fairly simple equation…..

missing the whole point of the topic neatly there 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just out of interest, can you actually get screwed financially if someone has your account number and sort code? Has anyone on here had any issues with balance transfer?
    TBH I only used paypal as some people prefer to pay that way, i'd rather balance transfer if buying though.
    Most sellers will take paypal or balance transfer normally. Why lose a sale for the sake of payment method.
    I do resent (as a seller) paying paypal fees. It means im actually down on cash because the buyer doesnt want to pay as a gift, hence from now on i'll specify paypal gift only.

grumm
    Free Member

Don't see a problem with it myself. As said paypal protection outside ebay is very limited.

Used it many times buying and selling and never had a problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley it's up to the seller how they present the deal – buyer can pay fees if he prefers not to "gift" it.

geoffj

missing the whole point of the topic neatly there 🙄

Not at all. If you don't want to pay fees, specify gift – or for the pedants amongst us, who get uptight about the term gift for a payment, used the money owed option . The functionality is there to be used.

If the buyer doesn't want to pay by PayPal gift, then they don't have to buy the item.

I would suggest that there are more folk willing to use the no-fee option than wouldn't.

Or am I still missing the point? 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Ripped you off?
    I don't think so, the item I sent you was brand new, arrived in less than 24 hours & you payed less than half its retail value.
    I offered you a refund but you refused to send it back.

You sent me the wrong item and ignored a host of emails.

Then you refused to pay the cost of returning said wrong item. I still have it and it's still useless to me.

Refund me the cost plus my postage and I will return it. See, you can still do the right thing, very belatedly.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don't have to buy form the sellers asking for a gift. If it irks you soo much buy from someone else

I know I don't, and I do.

Goog – I'm glad you regard me as a reputable internet retailer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

goog – Member
    I buy all my goods from a reputable bike retailer

classifieds = pikey skin flints !

go forth multiply by yourself and deceace

footstomper
    Free Member

I think I am correct in saying, if you have enough money in your Paypal account to cover the cost of the item you are buying then there is no fee to be paid ❓
    If that is correct then make sure you put money into the account before purchasing any goods 🙂

specializedneeds

Should people be allowed to specify Paypal gift? Er, they are selling their goods, they can specify what they like, doesn't mean anyone has to buy them. If it doesn't suit you, but others are willing to buy on those terms then tough. Maybe your question should have been: Paypal gift doesn't suit me, should everyone else be forced to do what I want?

Seems like too many people winging about the classifieds as if it's a service you are paying STW for and therefore have a right to dictate anything.

uplink
    Free Member

I think I am correct in saying, if you have enough money in your Paypal account to cover the cost of the item you are buying then there is no fee to be paid

No – it's the recipient that usually pays the fees, you can pay them for him though

There's other combos of fees depending on how you fund Paypal but with most transactions, the recipient pays

dmiller
    Free Member

Too many people seem to think that the classifieds should offer the same service as crc / wiggle etc. Next day delivery and protection and send it back if you dont like it, or face the witch hunt! I have used the classifieds a few times, got kit in good nick, but not new, normally within a week ish but far cheaper than elsewhere. If you want more than that pay for it!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds – Should people be allowed to specify Paypal gift?’ is closed to new replies.