Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Classifieds etiquette
  • prawny

I don’t sell a lot on here, so I’m unsure what’s normal.

A buyer has said they’d buy an item from me, don’t know their username as they emailed but didn’t reply to the post so I’m not sure how regular they are on here.

They asked for the PayPal address which i sent 24 hours ago but I’ve heard nothing? since. I’ve had 3 other people ask if it’s still available and i could do with the cash, how long do I give the first guy?

jam-bo

First person with the money to you gets it.

weeksy

24 hours is plenty. Send offer to 2nd buyer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

If someone emails direct I ask them their username. Have you googled their email address sometimes that shows links to various sites

nickjb
    Free Member

I always try to get a user name to match an email. Get them to post in the thread and state user name in the email. I’d give priority to a forum regular over a classifieds only user. Anyone who emails without a forum ID will be ignored.

tall_martin

Hi,

If its the cassette, I’m the second buyer (I think). I’m in no particular hurry.

Give them another day or two. For me sometimes the messages go into spam and sometimes I just don’t check my email that often.

Saying that I have missed out on somethings as the sellers have only waited a day or so. I wasn’t particularly put out, I just thought I should have responded faster.

Depends how quickly you want rid of the stuff I guess

Cheers

Martin

russyh
    Free Member

If it’s the cassette I was told I was second buyer too… looking at the thread I was ahead of you too.

bruneep

No I was 2nd.

😉

rickmeister

Its AMERICA FIRST,
    AMERICA……… FIRST…

russyh
    Free Member

These things never happened before brexit did they.

onandon
    Free Member

Because people could afford new ones 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

24 hrs midweek is plenty I’d say, if it was the weekend the a bit of leeway would be granted. First person to pay, or at least enter negotiations for an item gets it IMO.

The last item I sold on here I stated regular forum users only as I’ve been messed around by classifieds-only people too many times. Sale went smoothly, unlike the two before where I got messed about for a week each time before they said they didn’t want it! Both times they emailed me direct with no real clue as to who they were.

swavis

I’ve had similar, if you want it buy it, shirley? 😕

tomparkin

I’d probably ping them again via email to say you have other offers waiting and maybe give another 24hrs for them to respond.

You don’t owe them the chance to buy the item but in your situation I’d worry slightly about the possibility of them making the PayPal payment while you’re busy selling the item to someone else. At least if you give fair warning you can hopefully avoid confusion.

nickjb
    Free Member

In that cae its easy to reverse a PayPal payment. Just make sure you cancel their payment rather than make a payment back. Just sell it to the first forum user. Better for your peace of mind and better for the community spirit of the classifieds

bigyinn
    Free Member

Obviously my user name isn’t my real name, but the e-mail address that i use on here is based on my username, so hopefully its a little clearer on who I am.
    Having said that, I always tend to put a comment on the post, even if its just to say YGM so you can link me to my e-mail.
    That way the seller can check me out on here.

prawny

It the cassette sorry Martin, is cocked up when I said you were second, Russ was in first (in second) and had a similar name to the guy who emailed and I assumed they were the same person. I’m shat at selling things – sorry 😡

Will give the original buyer to the end of the working day then. I’ve got the seatpost to stick in the post after work so Id rather do them both after the kids have gone to bed. I need the cash to pay for a new cassette for the commuter, it’s trashed.

russyh
    Free Member

Prawny, if its any help i will send the $$ now.

soobalias
    Free Member

are you happy to swap it for a couple of megadrive games? If not, i get my pocket money in two weeks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Best stealth ad ever.

theboatman
    Free Member

Just take the money 🙂 if I am happy with a buyer I just run with first come first served. If i get several offer’s at once I’ll generally go with a forum regular or someone I’ve bought or sold with before.

tall_martin

No problem,

I thought I was too late any way 🙂

Is it a stealth advert if he has sold it three times already? 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it a stealth advert if he has sold it three times already?

Extra stealthy.

STATO
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    First person with the money to you gets it.

Thats a pretty poor attitude. You cant just give out your paypal address and expect people to send you money when they have no idea if they will actually get the item. This is not cash in hand purchasing.

I dont doubt with that attitude youd be on here in a heartbeat complaining if you had sent money to someone and they got back to tell you they didnt have it any more.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Thats a pretty poor attitude. You cant just give out your paypal address and expect people to send you money when they have no idea if they will actually get the item. This is not cash in hand purchasing.

I dont doubt with that attitude youd be on here in a heartbeat complaining if you had sent money to someone and they got back to tell you they didnt have it any more.

I don’t see this quite the same way. A few years ago I was selling on piston heads where 3 people wanted my landy bits, the first guy said PP address please I’ll send dosh and call to arrange collection. I sent PP and no. Then I heard nothing for 3 days, didn’t get payment or call. The other two went off an bought something else, took me a while to sell after that.
    When I buy, if I ask for PP address its because I intend to pay pronto. If you don’t pay pronto or at least send a message explaining when and how you will pay, then expect it to get sold on to someone who is responsive.

benp1

Defo not first with cash wins – just becomes a free for all

First demonstrating interest wins, they get a reasonable amount of money to pay (24 hours seems fine, unless they say it might be a problem for whatever reason), then off to the next on the list

russyh
    Free Member

For me (i understand i have an interest here as he second in the queue) if i reply to their email straight way saying something is still available and send my paypal details, then i would expect an immediate payment or an email saying when they are going to pay. I would chase after a few hours and if nothing i would offer to the next person. Then tell the original contact by email that they had missed out. For me its a pain in the arse to sell something as you have to make time to get to the post office. So i like things sold and gone ASAP.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds etiquette’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts