Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • classifieds and paypal, getting started.
  • naokfreek
    Free Member

So, i've taken the plunge as i have been living in a cave for the last 5 years..I now have a verified pp account so, if i'm selling something i take it the money is sent via my email address, goes into my pp account and then i send off the sold item to the buyer.
    Just asking for tips i guess as it's all news to me, or is it as simply as it seems?
    Got a number of things that have been hanging around but that someone could make good use of.

Ta

DezB
    Free Member

That's pretty much it. You may have heard mention of "Gift" payments through Paypal – this is a way of getting paid without incurring any fees. Normally paypal will take a 3.4% (or thereabouts) cut of any money you receive.
    Problem with gift payments is its not officially allowed to be used to sell goods, so the buyer isn't covered and has to trust you.

Some people won't use paypal, so you just have to accept a bank transfer from them.

naokfreek
    Free Member

That's pretty much what i was thinking about the whole thing. Gonna plonk a couple of adds in the classifieds soonish so take it from there i spose…

Mister-P
    Free Member

I sell stuff quite regularly and have not bothered with a paypal account. Bank transfer is so much less hassle IMHO.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I find it's nice to be known on the bike and chat forums first (I recognise the name naokfreek) because somehow I seem to be able to sell stuff virtually instantly on there 90% of the time amongst 1001 ads that never get a single reply….. Must be my charm and wit. 😈

naokfreek
    Free Member

To be honest, a bank transfer makes more sense to me, but did the whole paypal thing as it's handy to have one.
    As PP says, good to have a known name, been posting on here for 5 ish years now so i spose that would help.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Another question..postage, whats the recommended method? recorded or otherwise?

clubber
    Free Member

All depends. If it's under £50ish I don't do recorded as I'm covered for £39 (make sure you get a posting receipt) anyway. More expensive items, I always get them signed for an insured.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think your automatically covered for upto £40 when sending via Royal Mail.

If its much more than this then you need to use Special Delivery, maybe leave this upto the buyer if they want to pay extra for it?

Large items, send them via parcel force 48, insured upto £150 I think, you can add extra insurance ontop though.

Only accept Gift payments if people want to use paypal, then you dont get had with the charges.

Otherwise bank transfer is good

Make sure you wait for the money to clear before you post the item

also, always get proof of postage from the post office

naokfreek
    Free Member

Cheers for the info!!

clubber
    Free Member

maybe leave this upto the buyer if they want to pay extra for it?

Nothing to do with the buyer – it's insurance for the seller! If it doesn't arrive, that's the seller's problem, not the buyer!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Paypal is useful for eBay stuff, not sure if it's as useful for classifieds on here. IIRC the buyer is only covered for a dodgy deal if it's via eBay. Using paypal is just going to incur you fees and won't as a buyer guarantee me any better cover than bank transfer or even a cheque.

Being verified is only a benefit if you're buying not selling.

Like Clubber says you're covered up to 100x 1st class stamp (£39 currently) if you ask for a proof of postage.

A thing the Post Office keep quiet is you can insure parcels for as much as you want – it's a lot cheaper than special delivery etc. (admittedly it's not a next day service or anything). If things don't arrive then you claim off the post office.

Drac

Send it at least recorded if not all special delivery and don't charge the buyer extra for using them set your price and stick with it. As already mentioned sending the goods has nothing to do with the buyer they only have to pay for the goods, it's up to the seller to supply and post them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘classifieds and paypal, getting started.’ is closed to new replies.